Day 9 - Dali and then back to Kunming

Trip Start Mar 23, 2012
Trip End Jun 01, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  , Yunnan,
Saturday, March 31, 2012

We got up and said a quick goodbye to everyone in the morning and then quickly made our way down the mountain. We were only only a couple of hundred meters down when we came across an old abandoned temple and little shrines (I say abandoned because it was no longer used as a place of worship and it was looking in need of a bit of care). It was still pretty and it's ruggedness added to it it was just a shame that everybody seems to have forgotten about it considering it's 5* location.

 The rest of the walk down didn't take long at all, about an hour and a half in which time we passed countless Chinese tourists getting guided pony treks up the mountain. We made it back to town with a lot of time to spare as our bus to Kunming wasn't until 4.30 that afternoon. After dragging out the lunching process for as long as we could we thought we'd squeeze in a little sight seeing. We picked an old cathedral and Dali museum as our points of interest but we failed miserably as we didn't find either but instead ended up getting a little lost and confused. 

The bus journey to Kunming wasn't anything special, we just listened to a lot of Steve C's "We need to talk about Alan" which passed the time quite comfortably. We had booked a room at the same place we'd stayed the last time we were in Kunming just to make life a little easier. We had arrived there at 10, unpacked in the room and were desperate to put  a wash on. We were sorting out the washing machine and about to go to bed when Rick, they guy who ran the place came in and explained that he'd double booked and could we move to a different hotel which he'd pay for. We'd normally be quite up for a free nights stay but we were just not in the mood to be screwed over, we were tired and we didn't even know where we'd be going. For some reason we did it though and he put us in a taxi (which he should've paid for) to the place and said his friend would meet us there. We waited in the cold for about 30 mins until his friend found us. We were in some random part of the city and got taken up 22 floors of a huge residential building to be brought to our own weird little apartment for the night! It was a decent sized room with a half finished kitchen area and a lot of floor space so it ended up not being so bad at all, it was just a teensy bit annoying.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: