A couple of days in Jo

Trip Start Mar 27, 2012
Trip End Oct 18, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Delta H
What I did
train station, military museum

Flag of Indonesia  , Java,
Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day One in Jogja:
Absolutely loving Jogja.  The people are so friendly and helpful and that makes a big difference to how you feel about a place.  Even though it is a fairly large city, it is a sprawling one, with no high rise buildings. Tallest building we have seen has been 5 storeys.  Roads are busy, but not overwhelming
The staff at our Delta Homestay are wonderful.  The rooms are very basic, and nothing to rave about, but the kindness of the staff is great.  Yesterday, we were sitting in our little verandah and one of the staff came up with two glasses of tea and cake.  Very welcome.
Yesterday, we did some housekeeping.  We booked a train seat to Banjar on Thursday (with the help of a very nice university lecturer we met, called Moses), and we have hopes of arriving at Pangandaran, which is a small village on the coast, originally set up to rival Bali, from what I can gather, but it hasn't happened yet.  It's not always possible to travel in a straight line here, so this will be a bit of an adventure to see if we can get there.
Arranged for our washing to be done: $4 for washing and ironing!  Arthur paid 50 cents to have his camera bag sewn up where it had come apart. 
On our way back from the train station, we noticed a museum and, loitering about outside as we tried to work out what sort of museum it was, we were hailed by an army officer and asked to enter.  Yes, it was an army museum and, at the request of the commander, we were escorted around by an English speaking Corporal  explained everything to us, as most exhibits were only in Indonesian.  It was mainly tracing the history of the battles against the Dutch and English in 1945-47 when they tried to re-establish colonial rule, then internal battles  when the communists tried to take over.  It was very interesting, especially some of the rudimentary homemade guns and weapons used by the early guerilla fighters.   We spent a very interesting hour or so there.  He also told us that Java was 90% Muslim, with the other 10% being Hindu, Buddhist, and Christians.
Getting around Jogja is very easy.  Taxis here are metered, with a flagfall of $AO.50 and about 3 cents a kilometre.  Cheap, as chips!   There are a few other modes of transport available, including a tri-cyle rickshaw.  One skinny individual tried to coax us into using him for transport, but we were concerned our combined weight would be the death of him - even roads or not.  We have also seen horses pulling four-wheel carriages, with passengers in the back.  I would like to try one of those.
For the first time, driving from Probolinggo to Surabaya, we saw a two-lane highway, and the roads were fairly new and in good condition.  Jogja has some wider roads in the immediate city area, but there are many narrow lanes leading off the main road, where potholes are more the norm.  Once you leave the built-up areas, the roads revert back to narrow, pot-holed, two lanes, even though the traffice is very heavy.   Because there are very few train lines in Indonesia, most transport of goods is by road, so there is a lot of traffic and lots of trucks.  The main load seems to be trucks, then buses and cars, followed by motorbikes, tri-rickshaws and some horse and carts. 
Finishing our day, we had the most wonderful meal at a restaurant recommended by our homestay staff, including creme brulee, all for $A13.00 for the two of us, including drinks
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: