Back to Blighty and Beaten by Jetlag & Phobias

Trip Start Jul 12, 2013
Trip End Feb 21, 2014

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Chris' dad kindly picked us up after our 6:40am arrival into Gatwick. We survived a few hours before crashing - had the usual goal of just sleeping for a few hours but that inevitably turned into 5 thus starting our next week of totally messed up sleeping patterns. 

Next day I jumped on the tube only to discover that my years of training being sandwiched into the train had been forgotten and replaced by crippling claustrophobia. I think I actually gasped as I felt the people around me get closer and the door shut. (I felt like crying and this was not even rush hour) The only other option would to be to exit and take a massively expensive cab ride or 18 buses so I would have to tough it out. 

Went with my sis and Jim (brother in-law) to take the kids Trick or Treating in St. John's Wood. Jim went off with Henry and his friends and I went along with Grace, Annabelle and her little friend Gwen. Annabelle and her friend were both dressed as devils and were like two little peas in a pod. Being somewhat of a little American enclave the Halloween spirit was in full action in this area of London. Sometimes is was so crowded that houses did not even close their doors and just continued to hand candy to the queues of little witches and demons. 

The next couple of days we spent awake at strange hours or walking around the Isle of Dogs or Greenwich checking out the changes and additions in the last 18 month. The Waterman was now called the Great Eastern, The Nelson looks about the same, The Ship had a surprisingly lively post work Monday night crowd, and Greenwich seems to have spruced up quite a few places. 

On Monday we caught up with Simon and Marc from Chris Limit/QBE days with a few beers in the city.

As for food, by this point we have managed to ingest most of our favorites already - Indian, Chinese, Kebab, Pie & Mash and followed by a delicious Sunday Roast at Chris' Aunt Jenny & Uncle Andrew's where we tortured their poor Pug-zhu Frank with a too small costume

Remember remember the 5th of November. Nov 5th here is "Guy Fawkes" day. Fawkes had been involved in a plot to assassinate King James I. He was caught with a large amount of gunpowder in Westminster palace. This is now referred to as the Gunpowder Plot, the failure of which has been commemorated in England since 5 November 1605. His effigy is traditionally burned on a bonfire, and usually followed up by a fireworks display. 

We spent a little time in one of the Maritime museums in Greenwich during the day and later watched the fireworks from Chris' house as they lit up the sky over the Naval College. 

The next day it was pissing down rain as we made our way to the National Portrait gallery to see the Johnathan Yeo exhibit and all the other free exhibits. After today I started to feel ill and spent most of the next few days in bed - darn! I just beat the jet lag and now I feel like cr@p.

A few days later we were on route to my sisters bonfire/fireworks garden party when tube insanity struck. We had made it to Bank Station to hear over the speakers that there were delays on at least 5 lines (including one severe delay due to a person on the track on the line we were about to get on, super) We went down the the platform; it was absolutely heaving with people - I simply could not face it so we exited the station. We walked to another station but it did not look much better, so sadly we called it a night and headed back home. 


Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: