Farewell Thoroughbred country and back to Florida

Trip Start Jul 12, 2013
Trip End Feb 21, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Florida
Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Watching a Polo Match on a warm sunny Tuesday morning....this is the life. Since Willie explained a little more about the rules to a polo match last night we are at least a little bit less in the dark about what is going on. During the first Chukker (see what a polo pro I am?) we watched I was pretty sure that Willie was on the white team which meant he was winning....yay! Katy showed up a little later with Pretty Princess Puppy May Pearl and informed us that he was actually on the Gray team...darn. 

Nevertheless it was very cool to see the 8 horses (with people on them of course) going back and forth on the field. 

Said our farewells and set off on our 5 1/2 hour-ish journey to St. Augustine, FL. Katy told us we would drive through a whole lot of nothing for a while before reaching I-95 and she was right. We passed a ton of cotton fields (which I have to say I was kind of excited by since I had never seen one before) and more than a few towns named after Scandinavian places (Denmark, Norway etc.) 

Arriving at the KOA in St. Augustine we were ready to return to our camping roots. The office was already closed so we would just have to cruise around the place and see what was open and toss an after hours registration in the box. 

Our first mistake was setting up camp between two sets of campers.. after driving around later we realized we could have set ourselves up in a place where it was much emptier. 

But we had erected our tent and checked out the scene...there was a nice little river/lake that you could walk around and a ton of inquisitive ducks that wished we would feed them something. We were just about to make ourselves dinner when our neighbors to the right of us introduced themselves and invited us to have a beer with them and watch a movie. Chris had politely turned them down earlier but the guy kept asking so we agreed to have a beer. Next thing I know, Frederick (who when we asked what his name was he initially said "Big Black Man") was setting up his laptop and starting up a film called "The Priest". The last thing I want to do is watch a movie on a laptop in a campsite with the noise of about 1,000 cicadas in the background...but here I was. I thought to myself -I just need to get through this movie and then we can eat, plan our next day and go to bed. No..no no...not happening. Over the next 3 hours we were held hostage in a series of ridiculous conversations. I call them conversations but basically is was just this guy talking 'at' us- topics including his time as a ranger firing 600 rounds at his commanding officer (and somehow not getting in trouble for that) to him having a set of twins in England and also having friends in just about every state in the nation (including several Olympic medalists) 

When he busted out the British 303 Rifle Bullets from the trunk of his car to show us I knew the night was taking a turn for the worse. (google them to see how scary they look) I wiped my prints from the bullet just in case it might be involved in a future incident. 

I wanted to punch Chris when he asked if we could take a picture of them and mention them in our blog. Thankfully it was a non issue as Frederick said he could not be photographed as he was still a wanted man in two different countries on account of his sniper-ing for the rangers. ...right...ok.

I finally made our excuses to exit about the time they were going to start up movie #2. It was a nice little campsite but we were going to have to leave in the a.m. Chris suggested that we could stay...but there was no way I could physically/mentally spend another entire evening listening to B.S. (some of it scary B.S.)  It turned out they were actually living there until their apartment was ready (not uncommon for these places) 

My favorite was when Chris pointed out that the other folks to the left of us, also living in a tent, had a full size refrigerator, microwave and toaster all set up under a big 10x10 mosquito tent. Now that is CAMPING. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: