Sydney and Wollongong

Trip Start Sep 27, 2009
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Friday, February 25, 2011

We arrived in Sydney the day before Chris birthday as he fancied celebrating his 26th in the city! We checked into the caravan park we had stayed at before in Lane Cove and went straight into the city. We went straight to Darling Harbour and had a few beers overlooking the harbour and then did some shopping in the city. The boys soon got fed up of shopping so back to the pub we went. We went to a couple of different pubs and then into Chinatown to get a good feed, we had all been craving the food from Chinatown since we left Sydney last time.

After Chinatown we went to Scruffy Murphy's an Irish bar in the city and stayed there for the rest of the night. Alex, Dave and Sean came and met us after work for a few beers which was a good laugh and great to see them.

The next day was Chris birthday so Em and Dan cooked him up a massive fry up ready for a day on the tiles. After a breakfast fit for a king we went into the city and toasted Chris birthday with our first beer of many. We started off in the Rocks, an area which was the first European settlement in Sydney, now its still got an old fashioned feel to it with all the old buildings and no high rises but it full of pubs, bars and restaurants, its a really cool area.

Our first pub of the day was Lord Nelson's Brewery, Sydney's oldest boutique brewery. They brewed all their own beers so we had three pints of different brews which Chris loved! After there we went to the Australian hotel, one of the oldest pubs in Sydney which had over 90 different Australian beers!! Chris was in heaven and started making his way through the list of all the different beers, we had chocolate stout, lemon and ginger beer, raging bull, life saver lager and all sorts, it was good fun trying all the different beers so we ended up staying there for ages!

After the Australian Hotel we met Alex and the Irish lads in another pub and a couple more beers before going to the Argyle Hotel which was the poshest pub we have ever been in! It was a cool pub though so we had one in there and then went to the Opera Bar. The Opera Bar next to the Opera House is one of the best spots in Sydney, its great overlooking the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge, especially on a nice day. We had a fair few drinks there then headed to Kings Cross.

We went to O'Malleys Irish Pub where we ended up spending the whole night. It is a really cheap spot and a great laugh in there so we stayed there and had a right laugh. We left about 4am and then took a couple of hours getting home so we were back at the van by sunrise! It was a great day though and Chris had a quality birthday!

The next day feeling worse for wear we had another fry up which didn't do much for our hangovers so we spent the rest of the day chilling out by the pool, watching films and eating pizza, it was much needed.

We left Sydney the next day after a great couple of days, Sydney is a great laugh. We headed to Wollongong a coastal town 80km from Sydney. Unfortunately the weather was really overcast but we still tried to make the most of it. The town was really nice with so many different beaches and a harbour. We went for some fish and chips at the harbour and then had a wander around.

Chris got a fishing rod for his birthday so gave it a go off the harbourside with some prawns as bait, he was giving it a good go but then the heavens opened so we gave up. Then the van wouldn't start as Em had left the lights on and drained the battery! We had no jump leads so asked the guy we bought the bait from to give us a hand, he taught us how to jump start the van using the clutch we were so grateful!

We then went for a beer at the Five Islands Brewing Company which is the largest independent brewery in Australia. We had a beer and then went to a caravan park close by on Cormalla beach. By the time we got to the campsite the weather cleared up and we got a tiny bit of sun. We decided to make the most of it and went straight down to the beach. The beach was absolutely gorgeous and the sea was so great to swim in, the water was a good temperature and the waves were just right so we had a brilliant swim and then played beach cricket until the sun went down.

It was a great few days and with the weather finally cheering up we planned to spend some time heading down the South Coast of New South Wales beaching it up.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: