Trip Start Sep 27, 2009
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Dave and Sean's apartment
Grand Pines

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Friday, December 24, 2010

We arrived in Sydney on Christmas eve! Sydney is state capital of New South Wales and really it is the unofficial capital of Australia. It took us a couple of hours to drive through the largest city in Australia and find Coogee beach which is where we were spending Christmas. Two of the Irish lads, Dave and Sean who we met in Bowen tomato picking invited us for Christmas. They had an awesome apartment in Coogee beach like 100 metres from the beach, the apartment was brilliant.

We arrived Christmas eve and spent the afternoon catching up and doing the Christmas shopping! We got all the food and drink for the next couple of days and when the chores were done had a few beers in the apartment before heading to Coogee Bay Hotel and spending the night there. Coogee Bay Hotel is a bar on the beach with a huge beer garden so it was good fun in there although is felt like we were in Ireland as everyone in there was Irish!!! We had a awesome night Christmas eve style with far too many beers and didn't get in until about 5am, was a great night.

Christmas day we didn't wake up until about 11am, had a bacon sandwich with a bottle of champagne and then got back on the beers. The lads had got us Christmas presents, Chris got an England cricket top and Em got the Glee box set so that was awesome. We stuck the turkey n the oven and then headed down to the beach with a cool bag full of beers and Dave and Seans other housemates, an English couple called Alex and Sam.

It was a gorgeous day and the beach was packed with everyone in there Santa hats. We all went in for a swim and chilled on the beach with a few beers it was brilliant. After a few hours we headed back to check on the turkey! We all prepared the rest of lunch, a Christmas dinner with all the trimmings, pigs in blankets, Yorkshire puds, roast potatoes, parsnips and the lot it was awesome we went all out!

After a few more drinks we eventually sat down to our starter of soup then had the feast of Christmas dinner, followed by cheesecake for pudding it was great! It really felt like Christmas with the ipod on playing all the Christmas songs it was brilliant. After dinner we just ploughed on with the drinking, moved on to the rum and whiskey and had a great evening playing games and all sorts. We eventually got to bed about 5am after a brilliant Christmas day!!!

Boxing morning was a little painful for everyone after the night before, we can't believe how much booze we had managed to get through between the 5 of us!! We dragged ourselves out of bed had a beer to shake away the cobwebs and got suited and booted for the Sydney races. The races were at Randwick race course, 10 mins from the guys place. It was free to get in for anyone with an International passport so was great, everyone looked very snazzy but Sean went all out with white braces and 1950's shoes it was hilarious!

The races were so much fun, it took us a while to warm up but after a few beers we were all loving it. Sean seemed to have the luck of the devil and won almost every race, we weren't quite as lucky but both managed to win a race so it was good fun! It was another beautiful day so it was great day. After the races we came back to the apartment with the intention of going out but we were all pretty wasted from the last couple of days so we chilled at the apartment for the rest of the evening. We had such a brilliant couple of days though, definitely a Christmas to remember, it was awesome.

The next day in traditional Christmas style we all sat around the apartment in our pj's all day watching films, eating food and having a few beers. The day after we decided we needed to venture into the city at least once before the girls got here as we had been in Sydney for a few days and only seen Coogee so the lads took us on a 'Dave's tour' of the city. They took us to all the main sites, around Darling Harbour, to harbour bridge, the opera house, Chinatown and the main shopping district. We stopped for a few beers in an Irish pub and then headed back.

That night the lads took us out to Kings Cross, an area of Sydney most famous for its backpacker hang outs and strip clubs, it also has the biggest Coke sign ever! After playing far too many drinking games we headed out and went to an Irish bar then to a backpacker bar called World bar which is known for its cocktails that come in a tea pot, was an great night.

The next day we were all pretty hungover so after a late start we headed down to Coogee beach for the afternoon and had a farewell BBQ with the lads. After a brilliant week in Coogee we left the lads in bed and went to pick up the girls from the airport. Em's mates Nicky and Jade from home flew out to visit us for a couple of weeks in Sydney!! It was an emotional arrival but after a few minutes it was like we had never been apart! We drove South of the city to Botany Bay where we had booked a caravan park for the first few nights over new years.

After checking into our caravan park we headed straight into the city and gave the girls a Dave's tour of the city around Darling harbour, to the harbour bridge, the opera house and to china town. After that the girls when exhausted from their flight so we headed back and had an early one ready for new years eve.

New years eve we went straight to the off license in the morning and loaded up with plenty beers and goon. We met up with Jacqui and Tom who we met in Bowen, along with Dave, Sean and Alex and headed to Bradley's Point in Mossman. There are loads of places all over the city where you can view the fireworks, all the places have different capacities and different rules regarding drinking and entry but we all decided on Bradley's Head which was a great decision as the view over the harbour bridge was amazing. Bradley's Head was basically a big grass verge with a small beach at the bottom so we found a spot and settled there for the rest of the day.

We got there about midday and all started drinking and chilling out in the sun, it was a beautiful day so we made the most of it and had a right laugh.  A bit later in the afternoon Chris mates Dan and Kirk came to meet us with a guy they were staying with so they had to play catch up on the drinking which went terribly wrong and they both ended up being sick haha! Anyway the night continued as we watched the sun set over the city and then watched the first firework display at 9pm which was awesome.
The finale at midnight was amazing, they fireworks went on for about twenty minutes and it was just brilliant. We all stood on the bank watching the fireworks with a bottle of champagne it was such a cool experience. After the fireworks we stayed and had a few more drinks and then the girls headed for the last ferry at 2am. Chris decided to stay at the park with the lads but soon got booted out as the police moved everyone on, but by this point they had missed the last ferry and were stuck at the wharf for the night!!

The next day we were all pretty hungover and tired so we slept for most of the day and when we eventually got up we headed to the beach at Botany Bay and then Dan and Chris cooked us an awesome BBQ. The next day we headed to Bondi beach with the girls and Dan and chilled there for the day. It clouded over in the afternoon so we headed to one of the beach bars and had a few beers and met Kirk.

That evening we all went to the Barmy Army headquarters which was a pub in circular quay as the cricket was starting the following day so there were having a warm up party. It was a good laugh and was good fun getting into all the songs again! The following day Chris went to the opening day of the ashes at Sydney cricket ground, Alex had a spare ticket so he went with Alex and Dave. It was another cracking day at he cricket with loads of beer and England giving the Aussies a good kicking, We even got a picture with the famous Jimmy Saville.

While the lads were at the cricket Em and the girls headed to Taronga Zoo which was a brilliant zoo with great views over the city and some cool animals. After the zoo we ate in China town and headed to Darling harbour where we had a few drinks over looking city which looked awesome at night all lit up.

The next day we moved caravan parks to a cheaper one and the girls moved into an holiday apartment just down the road. The caravan park was in the North of the city set in a National Park, it was much nicer than the other caravan park and it was much easier to get to and from the city. The rest of the day we headed into the city, went to Kings Cross and Paddys market and then got ready for a night on the tiles.

We went out in Kings Cross that night with the girls, Kirk and Dan and Dave and Alex. We went to O'Malleys Irish pub then to World bar, it was another awesome night and a lot of fun. The next day we were all pretty hungover yet again so spent most of the day in bed but then headed to the city for some more food in Chinatown and a look around. Chris headed to the Barmy Army pub to meet Kirk and Dan after the cricket and the girls went to the Opera House to see a production called 'Briefs'. Briefs is pretty much a male burlesque where the guys did stunts in their pants, it was hilarious! After the theater we had a couple of drinks at the Opera Bar, the bar at the Opera house which was really cool and had an awesome soul band playing.

The next day we got the ferry to Manly and spent the day there. Manly is a district in Sydney which is pretty famous for its beach and fish and chips so we pretty much spent the day on the beach and ate fish and chips, the ferry ride there was pretty cool though as it had great views of the city. That night we were all pretty tired so we got a load of food in from the supermarket and had a feast at the girls place.

The next day it was the final day of the Ashes, there was only 4 wickets left to play so it was free entry so we all went down with Kirk and Dan to see England win the Ashes in Australia, it was awesome and even the girls loved it! We had our first beer on the way to the ground just after half 8 and that set the tone for the day, the cricket only lasted a couple of hours but then we saw the presentation where England got the urn which was brilliant as we were sat in with the Barmy Army so they were all going mental. After the cricket we all went to the Barmy Army pub where we spent the rest of the day in the beer garden, we even got to met Michael Vaughan!

The next day hungover yet again we took the girls to Coogee beach and spent the day there then Dan moved in with us!! Kirk went back home so Dan set up his two man tent next to the van and we went out to celebrate his arrival. We went into the city, to Opera Bar which is a bar right on the water front with stunning views of the bridge and the Opera House then met Dave in the city. We went to a couple of bars and then to Scary Canary.

The next day we went on a Sunday session in Kings Cross. In one of the Irish bars they had jugs of snake bite for $6 so we spent all day in the pub drinking snakebite. It was a  hilarious day we were playing drinking games and they had some awesome live music, especially this one guy who was brilliant.

The next day we went to Sydney fish market as it is really famous for its seafood, we were too late to see them loading It all up but we were still impressed with all the different fish for sale so we had some seafood for lunch. After that we went up the Sydney tower. The Sydney tower is and had amazing views of the Sydney. We were lucky as it was a clear day so we got a really good view over the city.

That evening we got pizzas at the girls place and chilled out as they started packing :o( The next day came and we had to say goodbye to the girls, we had a farewell BBQ and then dropped them off at the airport. It was really hard to say goodbye but we had had such a fantastic time, loved every minute it was awesome to see them!

Then it was back to reality for us as we then started job hunting. We weren't having much luck with the weather being so rubbish all the harvest jobs weren't starting for another fortnight so we decided to do a Helpx for a couple of weeks whilst we looked for work. We found a Helpx host within a few hours of ringing around so we went out for a farewell drink and the next day we left for Barraba to stay with the Webster family on their farm! Sydney was totally awesome, we had such a great Christmas and new years was fantastic, loved it all!

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


helen on

aaaaahhh Em so glad ur back on the blog... loved readin about sydney fun and readin that u went to kings cross so much haha.... i used to go to the world bar and omalleys all the time.... and becka and i had many a funny night in kings cross when i went out to see her. so fun isnt it. bet asia seems like a distant memory now? well hope uve had some luck finding jobs and u havnt been caught up in all the floods and hurricanes :-) xxxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: