Inca Trail (Day Three)
Trip Start Jul 31, 2006
15Trip End Aug 24, 2006
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
With coca tea in hand, I arose to a gorgeous sunrise over the valley. With such beauty before me, I was confident today would be a lot more gentle than yesterday.
To quickly summarize the day... here is what happened:
- Passed three archaeological sites: Runkuraqay, Sayacmarca, and Phuyupatamarca.
- Made a valiant rescue attempt to save a walking stick that was accidently thrown over the trail's edge
- Passed through a couple Inca carved tunnels along the path.
- Was rained upon as we strode through the cloud forests. It wasn`t a relentless rain, just a slight drizzle. If anything it was welcome, as it cooled us down and provided an eerie ambience to the hike.
- Had a cadre of gung-ho Americans/Canadians continuously passing us. We would catch up to them and then they would power forward... then we`d catch up to them again and then they`d push on. It reminded me of the movie "Dodgeball". Our group was the "Average Joe´s" and there`s was the evil juiced-up Ben Stiller team. They were physically superior, but we found a way to compete.
- Literally ran down the last hill of the day, knowing hot showers awaited.
- At the end of the day, sat with the group on a patio, as we looked out upon the valley before us. It was a very surreal moment. Everything seemed larger than life.
Tomorrow, we start the day at 4am in pursuit of the Machu of all Picchus.