A trip to Troy and the long drive back to Istanbul

Trip Start Feb 23, 2008
Trip End Jun 05, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Turkey  ,
Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I woke up a little after 7am and had a quick shower then went around the corner to the 3 star hotel where brekky was provided.   I dined with Matt & his mum and had a heap of fruit...  We hopped on the bus with my bag and the rest of the group and made the 1/2 hour ride to visit the ancient city of Troy.    We picked up a guide outside the gate then headed in - the first thing we saw was the replica of the Trojan horse - its really boxy, looks shocking and is so out of place but i still climbed to the top. 
Our guide was great and he explained many things about the area...There is some huge pottery intact just near the fake horse - a short stroll down the road the ruins start- there is a path where you can see the walls of Troy 8 and 9 (the last 2 cities of Troy - they just kept building the villages on top of the last).   You can half imagine how huge the fortress would have been...Walking through the ruins we made it to a place that overlooked the fields where the big battle of Trojan war would likely have occurred - where Achilles gets killed by Paris.!  
There are reconstructed red bricks that are meant to look similar to the walls of Troy 2 and 3...
We also saw where Heinrich Schliemann first discovered the ruins of Troy and demolished 3 towns in the process.   There is so much more that could be excavated.. there is a huge ramp that they say would have been the entrance to Troy 2... you can also see where the plebs lived on the outside of the wall.
The Roman Odeon (theatre) is in excellent condition and this is where concerts were held..  The ornate carvings of the columns are just left scattered on the side of the paths...
By now we were all done so we stopped at the guides 'shop' and had a drink and bought some souvenirs then made our way back to Canakkale to drop some people off and have a bit of lunch.   I went back to the same place that i went to for dinner last night and had a few mezes and watched the fisherman outside try their luck. 
I was full and sleepy by now so i cruised back to the hostel where an ANZAC doco was playing followed again by the movie.    I got a chair up the front and laid down and had a few zz's before we were escorted back over to Eceabat to hook up with the bus that had made the trip to Gallipoli.   It was a bit late so we had an apple tea and chilled before it showed up and we piled on for  the 4 hour ride back to Istanbul.   We stopped again at a roadhouse for dinner then continued on -- the fields along the way were covered with yellow flowers & it looked really beautiful.  
On arrival in Istanbul it took a while for us to drop everyone off and wind our way through the narrow streets but we made it and I jumped out again at the office and walked the small way up the hill to my welcoming bed!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: