Tip toeing through the tea fields

Trip Start Feb 23, 2008
Trip End Jun 05, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Monday, March 3, 2008

We were all ready at 7.30am to leave Bandarawela to catch a public bus to Haputale.  We stocked up on supplies for our 6hr hike into the mountains.   Our leader was shouting us lunch so we made a quick detour to the bakery and bought some veggie rolls, cup cakes and sugar buns to eat.  
Our trek firstly took us along the rail lines for a few km's - the scenic route - we had great views of the countryside and we even went through a small tunnel - lucky no trains were scheduled for that time.  
Eventually we got to a small where we stopped and had some cold drinks and waited for the train to pass so we could continue - one of the trains has this bizarre looking carriage attached to the back of it - it looked like an open air picnic table on train wheels - I'm thinking it would have been pretty cool to ride on it!
We started our slog up the hill, through the bushes before walking through a pine forest where we stopped to have our lunch.  We had awesome views of the hills and the many tea plantations.   We left just after 12.30 and made our way down down down and passed through a cutting in the hill before a few of us took a 'shortcut' through the tea plantations - it was rocky stairs the whole way down which was tough on the legs.  Eventually we reached the road and cut through some more stairs where we popped out about 10m from our guest house - only beating the other group by about 10 mins.   We were all pretty exhausted so a well deserved beer was in order.   We chilled out and rested and vegged for a few hours before our trek guide Rushan explained to us how they plucked tea -- i watched from the warmth of my bed as i could see all the way into the lounge...
It was soon time for tea so i left the comfort of the doona to munch on some curry.   They use everything from the chicken as i think i licked up something that resembled liver...  After tea we decided to watch a dvd which was a long process!   We picked out Speed but couldn't get sound, then we decided on Blue Lagoon (i know!!) which went for about 20 mins before it froze then finally Die Hard 2... by then i could stay up and watch it all because i was tired so i said goodnight and crashed..!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: