Hello Hong Kong!

Trip Start Jul 03, 2009
Trip End Aug 16, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Hong Kong  ,
Friday, July 24, 2009

We woke up in our shifty hotel in Millbrae California with our kidneys and all of our belongings and after some thoughtful repacking and a car wash for Westie, our Kia rental, we headed to the airport. It was sad to say goodbye to our trusty white Kia who had carried us approximately 6,000 miles but we are definitely ready for the next part of our journey.

We arrived at SFO with some extra time and as though we had never traveled before, we both stuffed ourselves with a massive Mexican meal right before getting on our plane. Today is our five year wedding anniversary and I kept trying to drop hints to everyone we saw so maybe we would get an upgrade. Three guesses about whether or not my plan worked.We flew United and were disappointed to see no tv's on the economy seats but both got plenty of reading done and Joe started doing research on our first destination, Hong Kong.

There were a few bumps along the way. The Hong Kong government is extremely sensitive to health risks due to a swine flu outbreak. About halfway through the flight, a little girl came rushing back to the bathroom with her parents full of her own vomit and still vomit walking to try and make it to the bathroom. The poor flight attendant practically donned a Hazmat Suit to clean up all of the mess. We were a little nervous that our flight would be quarantined, but after they called for a doctor who did a complete examination and filled out 3 pages of paperwork (it pays to be nosy), we were cleared to land. Our flight also experienced an odd type of turbulence that made Joe and I a little worried, it was shaky in a side to side way. The turbulence began as "Last Chance Harvey" started playing on the plane and I couldn’t help thinking that my life was going to end on our five year wedding anniversary while a film I had helped to cast was playing in the background…but then the little girl started puking again and that was more interesting than worrying about my life.

What a landing it was! Hong Kong is such an interesting place with mountains, huge identical housing developments, and lots of beautiful bright city to gawk at.

The flight was long, thirteen hours and we didn’t sleep very well so were a little zonked getting off the plane. However, landing at 6PM offered some advantages, we only needed to make it awake for a few hours before we could knock out. Our baggage came right away and customs was a breeze. We were both too exhausted to deal with the subway, remembering us on the Metro in Paris falling asleep upon arrival. A helpful English speaking tour guide helped us find the appropriate coach bus to get us to our lovely hotel. We crossed the longest suspension bridge in the world on our way in and got to see Hong Kong lit up in the evening. We managed to check in, take a quick shower and head out for dinner before we got too tired. Dinner was at a shifty Thai, Indian, Japanese, French combo restaurant. After filling up on curries and mussels we headed back for a good nights’ rest.

More from Hong Kong tomorrow!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: