Camp Monaco

Trip Start Feb 12, 2006
Trip End Mar 15, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Camp Monaco Service Center

Flag of United States  , Florida
Sunday, April 9, 2006

The next morning, when the Monaco mechanics started checking things out, they discovered that the power inverter was kaput (not too clear what happened first, the inverter caused the fire or their replacement work fried the inverter), either way it had to be replaced. Between one thing or another, it didn't get fixed until about a week and a half later!

Meanwhile, we only had partial power for some of our appliances and we also couldn't use the TVs, so we rigged up Terry's laptop, so we could watch DVDs.

Monaco had for all their "guests" a nice enough lounge (7am-5pm, M-F) with things like daily coffee and donuts, lunch every Wednesday, tables & chairs, comfortable sofas, big TV, computer connection, and arts'n'crafts twice a day. Which was partly why we nick-named the Center as 'Camp Monaco'. Needless to say, I did several crafts and got to know a lot of the other RVers, too. I also organized a couple of successful 'Potlucks' with lots of people and a ton of great food.

When they finally installed the new inverter, we discovered that it had also damaged something with the brand new satellite system. Terry spent hours on the phone to the satellite company, the installer, and to DirectTV, trying to figure out what was wrong and what it needed, etc. The next week and a half was rather a fiasco of waiting for parts, and trying to fix the wrong thing.

Meanwhile, over the weekend, we needed to head back up to Vernon, where we had to pick-up our new license plates for the RV that had been mailed there. Also, PJ's son, Billy, was supposed to come down from Indiana for a big motorcycle rally that weekend. Billy is an expert RV mechanic and Terry was hoping to pick his brain for several things in our RV. Unfortunately, the weather didn't co-operate, so Billy didn't come down. However, PJ's husband, Chance, was also visiting from Maui, so we had a nice visit.

Meanwhile, Lika had picked up some fleas, so on the way back, I took her to a groomer in Ocala and since we also had to spray-bomb the RV, we spent the night at a motel in Ocala.

However, while there, we almost had an accident with an idiot who made a left turn in front of us and Terry had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him. Later we found out that Terry's laptop had fallen and broken.

I had already been looking to buy another laptop because his didn't have the correct size port for the 'aircard' I had bought for wireless internet connection. I found a good deal on one and we've been using it ever since.

So, we finally got the satellite stuff fixed and we could move along on our way.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: