Trip Start Jan 20, 2007
Trip End Jul 16, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Well here we are in Sri Lanka and the first few days were full of mixed feelings. We arrived in Colomo on 24th March and made our way to Negombo which is the closest beach resort to the city. We needed to stay here in order to get some money in Colombo.

The place was absolutely deserted. We stayed here for 2 nights and we saw about 8 white people. The hotels and guest houses were empty and it was clear that tourism had been hit hard firstly due to the Tsunami and then due to the war in the north with the Tamil Tigers.

Our first night there was a quiet one. We had some food whcih we decided was not as good as Indian food and then went to bed. We were woken in the middle of the night by the sound of 4 explosions which we later found out to be the Tamil Tigers attacking the airport which was 10 km away. Lovely! We reassued ourselves that they only target the military bases, we made a trip into Colombo and we got the hell out of there.

On the train we headed down to the next nice beach. The train line runs along the coast and it was apparently where lots of people lost there lives during the Tsunami. This was the second uneasy feeling I had. We arrived at Hikaduwa after about 3 hours and made our way to our new home. This was a good room with sea views which we paid 900 Rps for (4 pounds 50). Accommodation is a little more expensive here but a little nicer than the cheapest rooms in India. The beach was absolutely gorgeous but again it was completely deserted and that is when we realised that there were not enough tourists to soak up all the hassle that was coming our way. The sellers would approach us and when they realised we were not interested they stopped. This was one difference from the sellers in India. However lots of people were asking us for lump sums of money to help with Tsunami, eye operations, knee operations and medication to mention some. It was really depressing and when we bought one guy a beer and he started telling us about his son's medication running out and then started crying, I had really had enough. Off to the loo I went to leave Kev to deal with it! That's what husbands are for apparently!!! And I knew he wasn't as weak as I was. After 4 nights we left Hikkaduwa and made our way to Unnawatuna the next beach.

This beach was my favouriet and because it was the full moon (Sri Lankans have a 3 day holiday every full moon, called Poya) there were lots of people there. We deceded to treat ourselves to a fantastic room. The views were stunning, beautiful blue sea right below us, we had air con. and a TV, a big four poster bed and we thought we were in heaven. And for 4 days we really were. We had a really good time here and had to drag ourselves away to move on to the next beach. We were now starting to like the people much more. They are friendly and want to talk talk talk!

Next beach was Marissa Beach and this was the quietest of them all. We met 4 Scottish girls and spent an evening with them and had a good time here too. After 2 nights we were all beached out and decided to move onto the Hill Country where we are at the moment. It is gorgeous here. I will tell you more in my next entry. But for now I must rest my little fingers!

Speak to you soon. Love and hugs,

Cjeza and Kev xxx
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: