Week with Brandon!

Trip Start Feb 23, 2010
Trip End Jun 21, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Poland  , Southern Poland,
Tuesday, May 25, 2010

So on May 11th, Brandon arrived in Krakow to spend 8 days with me! I barely slept the night before because I was soo anxious and excited for him to get here. I went to meet him at the airport and waited for what seemed like forever, until I finally saw him! We hugged and cried for a while but then I noticed that he didn't have his luggage with him. Turns out they lost his luggage (which we didn’t get until the following night) AND the drug dog sat by him so he was taken into a room and interrogated and accused of doing drugs. Obviously they found nothing and let him go, but I guess they were really rude about it. All he wanted to do at this point was get out of the airport. So we headed back to my dorm. I had class shortly thereafter so he took a much needed nap while I was gone.

That afternoon we went and checked into where we would be staying for the next week. We basically stayed in our own apartment, which was pretty luxurious compared to my dorm! The best part, for me, was it had a kitchen, refrigerator, and TV, all of which I have not had since home! It was perfect location, just a block off the main market square, except for the fact that it was right above a club which played loud music every night until about 6 am! So needless to say we didn’t get very much sleep. We settled in, got some groceries, went out for a nice supper, and called it an early night.

The next day we went on the free walking tour of Krakow. Even though I had seen everything already I did learn a few new facts and it was a great way for Brandon to see the important things around the city. That afternoon we did another free walking tour, this one of the Jewish district, Kazimierz. I had only been over here once before this so it was really interesting for me as well. Unfortunately it was a three hour walking tour and it poured the entire time. We were soaked, cold, and miserable. Luckily Brandon got his luggage that night and finally had some other clothes to change into!

Thursday we spent the day at Auschwitz Concentration Camp. Hard to take in, but being soo close Brandon was glad he went. Friday was another day in Krakow. We went up to the top of the clock tower, toured St. Mary’s Basilica, and went through the Cloth Hall and little souvenir stands. It was once again raining, so we decided that night to just go out to a movie, again, something I enjoyed and made me feel like I was at home for a little while. Saturday we took the two hour bus trip to Zakopane, the small village in the Tatra Mountains I talked about in an earlier blog entry. Brandon enjoyed walking around this wooden wonderland of a town and found some pretty neat souvenirs!

So by the time Sunday came around, it was STILL raining. We made the trek down to the Wawel Castle but were pretty much soaked by the time we got there. It was soo cold and miserable. We toured the state rooms and the dragon’s den. When we got out of the dragon’s den, however, we noticed that the river was flooding! I was surprised, but then I realized I shouldn’t be because it had been raining nonstop here for like two weeks straight…not even kidding! By this time we needed to warm up and put dry clothes on so we just hung out in the apartment for the rest of the afternoon. Again, being it was soo hard to do anything outside, that evening Andrea, Brandon and I went to another movie and pizza hut! The first pizza hut we’ve been to since I’ve been here!

Monday I had plans of us either going to the national park nearby, or going up Kopiec Mound to overlook Krakow, but of course….it was STILL raining! So instead we caught a bus out to the Wieliczka Salt Mines, which I’m really glad we did, it was Brandon’s favorite place we visited! So then Tuesday was our last full day together. Because it was going to be raining all day and we had a pretty busy week already, we decided just to sleep in for once. I had class that afternoon so we got everything together and brought most of his stuff back to my dorm so it would be ready to go in the morning. We spent most of the afternoon walking around town, getting last minute souvenirs, and just enjoying each others’ company. That night we went out to a nice place for supper and a final "date" until I’m back home! That night was hard, as it hit us both that the next morning we were going to have to part ways for more than a month again. We cried a little but really just tried to enjoy what time we had left.

Wednesday morning was quite emotional for me, for the both of us actually. We woke up early, got our stuff together and headed to the airport. We were there plenty early to get checked in and find where he needed to go but waited to go through security until a few minutes before boarding time. We sat in the airport for about 45 minutes hugging and holding back tears. I walked with him to security bawling my eyes out, hugging for the longest time. It was soo hard to actually let him go. I wanted more than anything to be getting on the plane with him coming home. This was possibly the hardest thing I’ve had to do since I’ve been here.

It was a half hour bus ride back to my dorm, which I cried the entire way. I was an emotional wreck that day, and to add to it we decided to quickly pack our stuff and leave for Budapest that night, which I won’t get into right now, because that will be my next entry!

So anyway, I had a wonderful week with Brandon and I couldn’t be more grateful for him coming out here. It was soo nice just to get away from everything for a week and spend it with someone who loves me, cares about me, and wanted to be with me. It was great having someone to simply talk to about anything and everything and know that they are listening and are there for me. I especially was grateful for having someone to hold me and give me a hug. Just to feel the embrace of someone after three months of not having that was enough to keep me going. That was one of the things I missed the most from home and really needed it at that point. As hard as it was to say goodbye to Brandon I had to keep telling myself I only have to get through three more weeks, because then mom and dad would be out here. It’s been really tough for me and so having him here was such a relief and a comfort from home.

What an amazing guy to spend soo much money, fly soo far (for his first time flying!), and do all of this for me. I am soo blessed to have such wonderful people in my life and want to thank Brandon for an amazing week.

Now that I’m in tears again just thinking about all of this………Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I miss everyone at home and can’t wait to see you all soon, less-than-a-month soon!!


Post your own travel photos for friends and family Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: