Farewell fun

Trip Start Apr 18, 2011
Trip End Apr 08, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of South Africa  , KwaZulu-Natal,
Sunday, May 22, 2011

My final day at HIP (I don't remember explaining the abbreviation here before, which stands for Hluluwe Imfloze Park) and working with Wildlife ACT today. Four weeks, despite the odd slightly repetitive routine, has gone quickly and I'm excited, if not a little nervous about my remaining five weeks in Africa, which I'm still planning.

We all decided on a party last night - sat around the kitchen table in our pyjamas - to eat, drink, and play a board game called 30 seconds, which I suppose is a little like an easy Trivial Pursuit. Or it would be easy, if you happen to be South African: almost all the questions involved local sporting knowledge - I barely have any sporting knowledge for my own country. Needless to say, little sleep was gotten last night, and we're all feeling a bit weary this morning.

This morning started particularly well as we watched a whole herd of elephants topple over and munch trees in one of the many valleys. One elephant got so close to the vehicle we could have lent out and touched him, though common sense most definitely tells you not to. With another round of camera visits to change batteries, the morning signaled the end of our volunteer work.

This afternoon was spent rather lazily around camp: I can't sit still for too long so found myself cutting one of the lad's hair (he asked first, obviously). I used to cut one of my best friend's hair, so it was quite fun - even if I did manage to cut one of my fingers in the process: it's safe to say that I shan't be going pro.

Another late night with a farewell party in the kitchen following a braii outside on the campfire, which involved Poikki (if that's how it's in fact sprit) - a traditional South African dish that's basically a stew - and a very good one. Back in the kitchen we ended up playing another game, this time a game of 'never, ever have I ever', which was hilarious, and revealing, as the questions stayed tame for all of five minutes! I'm very glad I packed 90 percent of my stuff into my rucksack tonight as I think tomorrow morning may be a struggle again.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: