The 3 day day jungle trek!

Trip Start Oct 08, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  , Chiang Mai,
Friday, October 12, 2012

So with no sleep and still drunk we pack away our stuff and head down for breakfast which was horrendous and we waited for our pick up to arrive.

Mr Ping Pong our jungle tour guide collects us from the hotel and the 7 of us jump in the taxi without realising what we have really got ourselves into!

We stop off on the way and go to the market for supplies and then arrive at the elephant trekking place where we ride the elephants.

I can safely say i was a proper girl and screamed for most of the duration of the elephant trekking. I didn't like sitting on the elephant and felt I was going to fall off and the path was small, steep and the elephants walked far to close to the edge for my liking.

Anyway it was an experience i will never forget and I'm glad i did it. After we grab some
Cold rice and then prepared ourselves for the jungle trek. One of the boys, Spud, decided to walk naked (and he actually did all the way to the top! - i don't think some people appreciated this but looking back now it was pretty hilarious) He was pretty wasted and on the way up the path was pretty small with sheer drops and Spud lost his balance and slipped and fall down. Luckily the bushes helped his fall but the only thing he was worried about was his beer! Crazy man!

I dont think i ever experience something so hard in my life. At first the walking was ok. We went deep in the jungle and was walking along cliffs and climbing through bushes. We stopped off at an amazing waterfall where the boys went down the slide. I wimped out as it looked a tad scary for my liking.

After visiting the waterfall we all carried on and went higher and further up the mountain. The path was steep and unlevel and within a hour or two i started to feel the pain. However there was no rest and we had to push on. The views along the way were incredible and the trek was great fun but it took a lot of strength and having no sleep and not much to eat meant i had very little energy! However i carried on and Ping Pong was kind enough to carry my rucksack which was like carrying another person! The boys were great and Alan aka Mr motivator help us get to the top and after 5 hours we finally made it to the top!

I cant describe the feeling of finally making it and being able to sit down!

We all stayed with a tribe family at the top of Matag Mountain in bamboo huts with no electricity and the floor was our bed. When we arrived we were all shattered and pasted out. When we woke up it was dark and the only
Light we had were candles.

I think i was on the verge of having a break down when i saw the toilet! Im by no means a wimp but after trekking for 5 hours, non stop sweating and aching all over i did not want just a hole to wee in with bugs and spiders and no light! Anyway i soon got over myself and Charlie an I made a pack to go together and we got the boys to search for any bugs beforehand -- however the boys were worst than us for freaking out!

mr Ping Pong made us dinner and we had a few beers around a fire. There were a couple of kids who were so sweet and Poddy gave them some sweets and they got so excited that they jumped up and went running away in the dark.

We played cards and had a chat and Ping Pong kept us entertained. He made us cutlery from
Bamboo and made us bracelets, hair bands and rings.

Being above the clouds my ears would not stop popping and it also got rather cold as the night went on. We had some late night pancakes (which tasted like sponge cake) probably the only decent food ive eaten so far!

We headed to bed for a sleepless night deep in the jungle.

Day two we headed back down the mountain and went to two waterfalls. It was much hotter today so it was tough. I really enjoyed the walk down. It was along the stream and seemed so much easier than the day before. We had a wash in the waterfall and Ping Pong made us all Noddles with Bamboo soup!

There was a guy called Monkey boy who we met the first night who is one crazy man! He would constantly sing in this high pitched voice, laugh at his own jokes and he would not shut up! I thought he was hilarious but i think he annoyed the boys, he was harmless though and helpful when you needed him to be.

We carried on and headed for the second waterfall which was beautiful. We had a quick rest an drink and then headed for the village.

We met some more tribe people who were all lovely and friendly. We had some food an sat by the fire and then played some card games.

There were a couple of spiders in our hut and a few of the boys freaked out. I fell asleep and they were all still moaning! Ha! We woke up in the morning to find 3 of them sleeping together!

Day 3 we heading back to the bottom where we did white water rafting and bamboo rafting. It was great fun and it was a laugh.

After lunch we all headed back to civilisation. I think i appreciate my life so much more after I've seen how some people live. It amazes me how they cope without the things we all take for granted.

Mr Ping pong was such a nice guy and made my experience an unforgettable one. He kept calling me long legs and his wife. Lol. He asked Charlie and I if we had boyfriends and when I said i didn't he called me a lesbian. HA!

We all chipped in and gave him some money to show our appreciation. He doesn't get a lot for what he does but takes his job very seriously and he very good at it.

I think we were all happy to return to the hotel! We checked in and got showered and just laid on a bed and put the air con on!


Moles xxx
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: