Trip Start Jul 05, 2005
Trip End ??? ??, 2006

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Colombia  ,
Sunday, March 12, 2006

The women (Sheila, Janet and Tanya) of team horse (Chile trip) arrived on Sunday afternoon, March 12. After driving home, we had manicure, pedicures and massages set up. Later that night, I invited two friends, Mike and Ian over for a typical Colombian dinner of Ajiaco (it's a stew/soup dish). Earlier that morning I had gone mountain biking with Ian in Tabio. It was quite an adventure, but i don't really think it's something I could enjoy on a regular basis. Maybe after i figure out how the peddal and stop, things might change.

Having team horse here, without Freddie or SNAG, was really nice. We missed the boys of team horse, but having just the girl around was great! Sunday night after drinks and food, we took some pictures of our new toes and hands. Everyone was pretty tired by then and I had to work the next day. The girls being as adventureous as they are decided to go to the open market at paloquemao with my new housekeeper, Arelis, the following morning. Rumor has it that they took pictures with the locals and various dead farm animals. The bought some flowers and then ventured out to other touristy places, like the transmillenium(bus/metro),which we aren't allowed to ride. The girls made out just fine in their new city and explored lots of places. They even ran into some Emerald dealers near the Gold museum (Museo de oro) while they were having lunch and Sheila proceeded to interview the guy on emeralds (of course, this is all hearsay). They explored all the new and interesting fruit. Janet's favorite was Guanabana (mainly because she couldn't pronounce it, I think). She did manage to write and perform a very excellent song to help her remember the fruit. By the end of the trip, there were many other verses added to the song and it really is one of the funniest things I ever saw (see attached video clip).

One of the days, I set up a private english speaking tour for the girls to visit the laguna de Guatavita and the Salt Cathedral at Zipaquira. I figured it would keep them busy during the day and they could wreak havoc outside of Bogota as well. Well, I was right, they wreaked havoc alright, but they never made it to Zipaquira. Apparently, they got to Guatavita and had such a good time playing soccer with the locals and exploring that they ran out of time to get to Zipaquira. They did, however, manage to have ice cream at San Geronimo in Cajica (my favorite place). I must say, I was worried about them a bit, since the tour company said they'd be back around 6 and it was after 7 and there was no sign of them. I heard they also ate rabbit in honor of Tanya's month-aversary with Dr. P (another story for another time). When they got back we went to dinner and then had some drinks at home and the Guanabana song (see above) was performed as well as a joint rendition of I will survive!!!! Amusing doesn't even begin to desribe that night!

One of the days, I blew off work and we drove to Fusagasuga (another part of the song)to a coffee plantation. That was a cool trip. We also went horseback riding in La Calera (see previous entries) for a few hours and sipped Aguardiente (firewater) along the way.

Friday, we hit the Marine Happy hour after the girls went to get their new makeovers. They only managed to get through the haircuts and then were too tired to go any further. So, just hair, no makeup! They met me at happy hour and they looked great!!! We danced with some marines and each other, gathered up some friends and off we went to Andres Carne de Res (A must do in Bogota). Lisa R (aka Hootie) and her friend, Tim were suppose to meet us at Andres, but Lisa threw her passort in the garbage somewhere between DC and Houston. Tim, being a great friend, decided to go ahead anyway. It turned out to be the right thing to do because Lisa didn't make it to Colombia until Tuesday. Anyway, that story is way too long to tell in this entry.
Tim eventually showed up on Friday morning after having spent the night with total strangers (who turned out to be really nice people) who put him up for the night.

We took off for Suesca (1 hour outside of Bogota)to our rented farm house and to do a little rock climbing. We arrived in Suesca and made it to the house which was cute and had a great back yard. We went rock climbing the next day and it was HARD!! Truly a sport of endurance. I was only able to make it up one rock, but I was happy to be able to do that much (i'll have to try it again). She, Tanya, Janet and "the count" (aka Tim)(Tim laughs like count chocula) fared better than I did, but then again they're younger :-)

The next day we drove to Villa de Leyva (a colonial town seen in previous entries) and went horseback riding and had lunch in town. Then, we drove back to Bogota. It was a long and tiring trip, but definitely worth the trip. At least, I hope they thought so. The girls left the following day, which made me very, very sad!! Lisa finally arrived that night and the party continued for Tim and Lisa.

There's probably a whole lot more to tell and I welcome any comments from my visitors (clean ones please).....

I love when people come visit, so start checking your calendars!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: