Out of South Dakota and into Wyoming

Trip Start Jun 05, 2010
Trip End Aug 13, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , Wyoming
Monday, August 2, 2010

This morning we got on the road around 11 and our first stop was 20 miles west in Sturgis, SD. I wanted to see what the scene would be like at the site of the big rally. It doesn't kick off until next week so it wasn't that busy and we were able to pull into the downtown. I parked the rig just off the main street. We walked around for a little bit. There were a lot of tents being set up down the main street with tons of merch but most weren't open for business yet. We made a couple of small purchases. The Harley tents weren’t completely set up yet either but it looked like they were planning a big showing for sure. They had big rigs and forklifts and bins all around what looked to be a few big tents. The Knuckle Saloon was pretty lively already (before noon) and we snapped a couple of pics for the record. We aren’t bikers but we thought it would be cool to check out the scene anyway. I’ve seen documentaries on TV about this rally. It goes off. Some friends of ours back home would have appreciated this place since they ride.

We made up some sandwiches and then got on the road toward Yellowstone. Not a lot to see in the rest of SD. We worked our way across Wyoming toward Cody, where we planned to stay the night. We crossed through a small Mt Range called the Bighorns. That was cool but the rest was pretty desolate.

Cody is a town that is around 50 miles from the East entrance into Yellowstone. They have a Walmart here that we pulled into for the night. As far as RVers go, it was the busiest we’ve seen on the trip. People had big 5th wheels all leveled with awnings out. Chairs pulled out. Generators were running. We even saw some folks pitching a tent on the lawn! Pretty cool seen and everyone was friendly. People were cruising around with cocktails and visiting with one another like we were at a convention or something. I got out the new longboard and cruised the parking lot and met a few of the visitors. Chula even made a friend. I met one older guy that had been on the road since April and was working his way around to the Sturgis Rally. He built custom bikes and had 3 of them he was rolling with. This guy had some good stories and had been around.

We rented a couple of movies at the Redbox (the "Redbox free code" Droid app seems to work) and we weren’t to bed until after 1am. It’s definitely starting to cool down now, or at least less humid.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: