A nightmare in Miri!

Trip Start May 17, 2009
Trip End Apr 15, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Malaysia  , Sarawak,
Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Was woken up by a mini bird tapping on the window this morning. It was tiny, I tried to get a picture but it wouldn't stay still for long enough! In our attempt to save cash we decided to walk the 3km to the Niah town and get a lift in from there.  It was hard work walking with 20kg in 32C heat but it was a pretty stroll along the river through the forest.  It was the first time in Malaysia that we had seen true poverty, some of the huts on the way were little more than a four bamboo poles with some straw out on the roof with a large amount of shit, rubbish, dogs and chicken surrounding them.  The little kids came running out shouting 'Helo' and seemed surprised to see tourists but I guess we must have looked strange with our enormous backpacks on in the forest!
As soon as we got into the town, a local guy offered us a lift back to the junction for only 15RM, we also arrived there in time to catch the bus up to Miri. No hanging around...nice!  The bus was 15RM but stopped about 5km out of the town centre as usual.  I was feeling particularly tired and I think constantly doing the budget and trying to keep to less than 30quid a day for both of us was starting to piss me off. So when we were told that we would have to wait for 2hrs to get the local bus into town as we had 'just missed the last one', I slightly lost it! 'What the point in a bus to Miri when it doesn't actually take you to Miri'....
Anyway, as I was just settling down on the floor for a 2hr wait, it turned out that the last bus hadn't actually yet arrived as it was late and it pitched up 5 minutes later. The bus took us to the central bus station where there is a tourist info so that we could try to find somewhere to stay.  We got a map of the town and then started to ask at a few of the budget hotels. Most of them were so grim and seemed to only rent rooms by the hour. We needed somewhere good so that we could leave our bags when we went to Bario.  As I was already in a pretty rubbish mood, Steve left me in a cafe while he went in search. He came back also pissed off...in the end we got a bus to a homestay 15km out of town.
On the bus on the way there, we witnessed the aftermath horrible car accident and a guy had died on the side of road with massive head injuries and people were trying to get the others out of the car.  This really affected me as I saw too much, especially with the mood I was in anyway.
When we arrived at the guesthouse we had to walk up the hill for 1mile..still with backpacks atow. I was hot, tired and emotional. Poor steve had to look after me! The guesthouse turned out to be way over budget but it was such a nice, calming place that we stayed away and the owner said that he would give us a lift to the airport for 40RM. A lot, but I wasn't in the mood for working out how else we could get there at that time of the morning.  I was just thinking that we obviously should have just spend a little bit more time trying to find somewhere in town to save money and the hassle of taxis, bus etc out to Treetops.
Treetops was amazing though and I quickly fell myself relaxing. The food was amazing too. They has a DVD room so will chilled out for the evening, a first time in a long time...and I prepared myself for the flight in the morning!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: