The Day I Have Been Waiting For

Trip Start Dec 08, 2007
Trip End Dec 28, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Illinois
Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Got up and repacked our cases. Went out for breakfast and then loaded the car for the short trip to Orlando international Airport. We dropped off the car and boarded of plane for the next leg of the trip.The next 8 days are what this trip is all about. We are visiting James and Leah my son and daughter in law and our wonderful grandson Sam. Sam will be 9 months old when we see him but we haven't seen him since he was 6 weeks old.   We were really excited as we boarded the plane.
I had booked the internal flights with Trans Am. We were flying into Med-way. When we arrived it was very cold and had been snowing. But it was now raining so the snow was getting washed away. We had to take a courtesy coach to pick up our hire car. When we got to the pick up point it was raining heavily really cold and getting dark. There was only 1 car left in the size range we had ordered and it only had 2 doors and we had ordered a 4 door. So I asked the guy on duty if they had anymore in our range. He asked if we were English and I said we were. He told me I could have any car I liked in the lot as they liked to look after their English customers. I picked a silver 4 door and we drove away happy. As the Sat Nav takes a little while to settle we pulled into a car park and Andy happily got used to our second hire car in 2 days. While he was busily pressing buttons the car started to talk to us. Wanted to know what our emergency was and how he could help us.  Apparently the car has an emergency link with a help desk and Andy has accidentally pressed the help button. After we had assured the voice that there was not emergency and that we and the car were all fine the voice disconnected. As the Sat Nav had got a signal we set off. As it was now rush hour and still raining the first hour or so of the journey was very hard for Andy but when we got on the freeway things improved greatly. 3 hours after leaving Med-way we pulled into the drive way of Leah and James house. It was wonderful to see them and Little Sam had stayed up to greet us.   We Had bought Sam a little plane at Fantasy of flight and he seemed very pleased with it. It was really lovely to catch up with all the news and we stayed up very late. We were only staying 8 days in Champaign so we decided to have our own Christmas day on Sunday 16th  December. The next few days were spent getting to know Sam. He is a really good baby, happy and sweet natured, and Andy and I had great fun with him . He is a very vocal little chap with plenty to say.  Unfortunately we couldn't quite make out what he wanted to say but we managed. Only 2 things really seem to upset Sam. One is bed time and the other is when Mommy goes out and leaves him.  We were looking forward to baby sitting while Leah did last minute shopping for our first Christmas but Sam wasn't a bit impressed. Andy and I sang the same song over and over (Only in Kenya )   one of Sam's favourites.  As soon as we stopped singing his little bottom lip would quiver and big tears would roll down his face. This carried on until he fell asleep.   
We didn't make many trips out while we were there as we have visited Champaign often and we know our way about. We did however go shopping. On one of our visits to Target we had a call form James. He was worried about us as it had started snowing badly while we were in the store and he was worried we would run into trouble on our way home. As you can see by the photo it did quickly get nasty. We did (thanks to Andy's good driving) get home safely and Andy said he did enjoy driving in the snow.  By the following morning (our first Christmas Eve) the view from our window had turned into a winter wonderland. . Snow lay thickly everywhere. It seemed a perfect time for me to do a Christmas photo for work. So pulling on my boots and jacket I went out into the snow. Andy needed to de-snow the car so I had to be quick. It was a perfect day crisp and very cold. The snow was so clean and fresh it seemed almost unreal in the bright sunshine. I quickly wrote a message in the snow on the windshield and Andy took a picture, I then took one of Andy with the same message for him to send to his friends and family at home. We decided when we had de-snowed the car to do same last minute Christmas shopping at the Mall. Its only about 10 minutes from the house so we set off. Already all the surrounding roads where clear, and when we reached the mall we found the car part was clear too. We sent off to do the shopping but couldn't't resist taking a few photos on the way.   Spent a couple of hours in the mall shopping and then returned home.        
  Spent a little time playing with Sam and then James and Leah bathed him and got him ready for bed. He wore his special Christmas PJ's and Leah read him a bedtime story.  The night before Christmas. A board book that I had bought for him and a story I had always read the boys on Christmas Eve.  While Leah was settling Sam for the night,  James Andy and I has a few games on the Wii   and then we went to our rooms for last minute present packing and stocking filling as tomorrow was to be our first Christmas in 2007, AND SAMS FIRST CHRISTMAS EVER
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: