The Temple of all Temples

Trip Start Aug 28, 2012
Trip End Aug 09, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Cambodia  , Khétt Siĕm Réab,
Monday, December 10, 2012

10-12th Dec – Siem Reap

After being told that the bus would arrive in Siem Reap at 6am and everyone saying it would take a lot longer, it was a bit of a shock when we arrived at 5! Luckily 3 girls I had a quick chat with the previous morning had got on the bus and had booked accommodation so I jumped in their tuk-tuk and we all crashed in reception, I made a mini bed on the floor!, before they were allowed to check in.  I then checked availability at 2 places before making my way to Garden Village Guesthouse and checking in for Laura, Sarah and I and then sleeping.

I arranged to meet the girls, Kate, Tara and Adette, from the bus at 12:30 for lunch and then we all went on a wander around the market which of course I wanted to buy everything from but managed to hold back!  I went back to my room and chilled out before Laura and Sara arrived at 5:30!!!  They had an Aussie in tow called Nicole and they all moved their stuff in before we went and had some food on the roof top bar.  We were all shattered so were in bed by 9ish all absolutely boiling.

The next day I woke up with a bite/sting/cut on my foot causing me a great deal of pain and it was swollen and pussey – yuk!  I had to go to the clinic down the road and they dug it out after giving me 5 anaesthetic injections – OMFG, it hurt!

We then moved rooms as we all died in the heat the previous night and if I was having to rest, it would be nice to do so in AC – the place also conveniently had a swimming pool, all for $5 each, bargain!  I didn't really rest though.  After moving rooms we went to Blue Pumpkin (where I went the previous day) for another amazing lunch of not so quite authentic Cambodian food.  But then we did rest and hung out by the pool for the afternoon before heading to the night market for a wander and some street food, or so this is what we thought we were getting... we had our own BBQ instead!  We got some squid, prawns, beef, noodles and green as well as some hot water to make a sort of broth.  It was actually really tasty and an experience, and all for $3 each including a drink.  I made another trip to the clinic where they dug out the other hole, this time without anaesthetic... I thought I experienced pain before, that was nothing.  OMG, this was the most excruciating thing I have ever felt in my life... so bad in fact I rented crutches for the next day.  A then not so early night for an amazingly early start...

The next day was the day you have to do in Siem Reap – Angkor Wat!  And what better way to do it than to go at sunrise, on crutches for me :S  We were up at 4:15 to leave at 4:45 and were in the temple and waiting (luckily with front row "seats") by the pond for the sun to show its head (whilst Sarah had a panic attack that her camera wasn’t working and I had already given up on the crutches and was just hobbling around instead, getting stared at)!  The sunrise showed Angkor Wat for all its glory, an amazingly shaped Temple that is sooooooooooo big and impressive.  And I am so happy we saw it in this light, because as it became sunnier it became more obvious that ...  believe it or not... it was under construction – massive load of green scaffolding and tar-pooling all over it!  Inside reminded Laura and I of Fatephur Sikri in India, with similar craftsmanship in the engravings in the stone, with show much attention to detail, delicacy and precision in their work to make such amazing artwork.  We had a good walk around, took some cool pictures and then were back to our tuk-tuk for temple 2.

The next one we saw was Bayon – the temple of faces.  This was pretty impressive with a suggested 216 faces looking out over the area surrounding the temple.  Again the art work was impressive and how they actually built these temples baffles me.  And of course, the last temple we saw was Ta Prohm – or what most people know it as, the Tomb Raider temple!  This was by far my favourite, with the obvious power of nature completely taking over and destroying the temple – most of which is in ruin.  We somehow even managed to walk into a section that we later found was off limits due to it being a “dangerous area”!  Oops!

We arrived at 5, and left by 11, 6 hours of amazing temples and absolutely shattered (as well as in a lot of pain with my foot on my behalf).  We got back, had some lunch and then chilled by the pool again.  That evening we finally managed to meet up with Kate, Tara and Adette but only briefly as I was feeling awful and went home early anyways, and they had another place in mind for dinner.  One more trip to the clinic before an early bedtime again for another early morning.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


mum on

I thought all the temples were exquisite and loved wandering round them. I loved your blog except for the pain you had with your foot - hope it gets better sooner than soon. xxxxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: