Another night in a garage compound

Trip Start Sep 23, 2010
Trip End Jul 13, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Harveys Garage

Flag of United States  , Arkansas
Monday, October 17, 2011

17th Oct cont.

Tow truck arrived at around 1pm and turned out to be a 'mom & pop' company, now run by their son, but they still did the occasional tow. After a bit of flaffing around they managed to line up the gear only to have to get Dean to align the wheels properly. Then we were on our way. Good Sam had recommend a radiator place in Forest City but as this tow company had their own garage we decided to go there. One reason was we were not sure it was a radiator problem and secondly, they were in the right direction for Little Rock, where we heading to next. After a bone shaking hour and a half journey we finally arrived at the garage, where Brian got taken in to see the mechanics. A couple of minutes inspection found a leak in the radiator. Water was spurting out from a whole in the front. We believe this had been caused by a stone kicked up by a passing lorry. Both of us had heard it hit, but didn't know where. Now we did! After taking out the radiator, they managed to patch up the hole so we didn't need a new one. At around 5pm, they had finished patching Brian up and even put a mesh on the front to protect the radiator from bugs and hopefully, stones. We paid the $200 bill and Dean took it for a test drive to make sure it was ok. 5 or 10 minutes later, Dean returned and drove straight back into the garage. That's not a good sign. Apparently the water was still boiling. That means there is another issue. Oh yea! As it was closing time for the garage, we were told to pull up around the side and they would have another look in the morning. They kindly let us plug in, so here we are again, parked up in a garage parking lot awaiting our fate in the morning. We decided not to think about it, so cooked dinner, washed and chilled out, reading and then watching a movie, (The Golden Compass). Then it was off to bed. Please, please, please let it be something cheap & simple to fix again!

18th Oct.

Woke up to pouring rain and didn't feel like getting out of bed, so we stayed in until 7.30am and then thought we'd better get up so the garage could take another look at Brian. At 8am we popped in to the garage and Dean drove Brian round to the back doors and left him in the hands of the mechanics. About half an hour or so later, they had removed the thermostat and wanted Dean to take Brian out for a test drive to see if he boiled over again. If he didn't boil over it meant the problem was with the thermostat and a new one would be put in. If he did boil over then it wasn't the thermostat and we could be looking at another large bill! Dean returned with a thumbs up and so a new thermostat was put in and another hour or so later, (and $70 lighter), we were on our way.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: