Kite surfing lake

Trip Start Sep 23, 2010
Trip End Jul 13, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Colombia  , Valle del Cauca,
Friday, April 8, 2011

8th Apr.

Got up around 9am, had breakfast, finished packing and then checked out. We then started to walk to the bus station as most of the taxi's going by were too small. We did manage to find one and he drove us so far and then asked where where we going, then stopped and asked us if we'd like him to drive us the 2 hours to the lake. As it was 4 times the price of a bus we declined his offer and he drove us the rest of the way to the bus station. At 12 noon we boarded the bus and enjoyed the breeze coming in from the windows and was looking forward to the coolness of the mountains. We arrived at Darien bang on time at 2pm and then set about the task of finding somewhere to stay. The local friendly tourist office helped us out with a map and a few recommendations and we were soon settled in. Cat and I decided to go for a wander to check the place out and then headed back to shower and change for dinner. Cat then noticed that a bottle of moisturiser had leaked in the side pocket of her bag and had also soaked through to her clothes. After cleaning up the mess and bagging the cloths for washing, we headed out for dinner, chorizo sausage and chips and a nice ice cream for dessert (bubblegum & strawberry, manderin & lime - vanilla choc chip & chocolate for Cat). After dinner we headed back to watch a bit of TV and have a nice quiet evening in.

9th Apr.

Got up at 8.30am and went for breakfast at a cafe round the corner. After breakfast at around 10 we caught a bus to the kite surf school 10kms out of town. On arrival we met a 16 year old lad with pretty good English who said come back in a few hours and the wind should be strong enough. So we had a walk down to the bridge on the dam and the hydro-electric plant. The view of the lake and the dammed side is very nice and the bird life is lovely. We could tell the wind was getting up on the walk back and once there it wasn't long before we got kitted up and shown the ropes (kite strings that is). My guide was a 17 year old who had a small amount of English but I could understand what he needed me to know. Glyn had the 16 year old and as he's used large kites before was soon getting the hang of it. An hour in the water with the kite was enough for me, I was getting cold and tired and decided to call it a day. Glyn came in 20mins later and his guide said that he'll be on a board tomorrow. As for me, I've had my taster, it was fun and that will do (the water's too cold!). At 4pm we caught the bus back and had a rest and shower before heading out for something for dinner.

10th Apr.

Woke up to the sound of rain again and laid in be till about 9am then got up and got some breakfast. As it was still raining, we went back to the room until 11 and then met up with Sam and Glyn to catch the bus to the kite surfing school. We stayed there until 2pm when it was decided that the weather wasn't going to be any good today and headed back to town. Unfortunately, we missed the 2pm bus from Cali and so started walking down to the next stop where the local buses turn round. At the stop there were more people waiting than the small buses could take so we started walking the 10k hoping to catch a lift somewhere along the way. Four to six buses went by and all were full so we carried on, but about half way a couple in a small car stopped to give us a lift. So we all squeezed into the back seat of the car and were soon back in town. We thanked the couple (who wouldn't take any money) and had some cake in the local panadaria, which for a change was very nice. Tired from our walk we went back to the room for a rest and watched a film.

11th Apr.

Got up at 8.30am to a nicer looking day and got some breakfast round the corner. After breakfast we had a walk as far down to the lake as we could go and then went back to finish packing and check out. At 10 Glyn and Sam walked us down to the bus company where we boarded the 10.30 to Buga. They had decided to stay and try the kite surfing again (fingers crossed!).
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: