The Argentinian side of Iguazu

Trip Start Sep 23, 2010
Trip End Jul 13, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Argentina  ,
Friday, November 19, 2010

19th Nov.

Had a lie in and had breakfast around 9.30. After breakfast we packed our bags up, checked out and headed to the bus stop to catch the bus to Puerto Iguazu on the Argentine side. The first bus took us to the Brazil border where we had to endure the usual formalities of stamping passports then waiting for another bus to take us to the Argentine border. Luckily we asked the lady at the hostel and she wrote down for us, please can we have a transfer ticket for the rest of the journey, which was sorted quite easily. We waited for about 15mins then another bus arrived. Time to enter Argentina where the same bus driver rushed us through the immigration process even grabbing hold of Cat´s fleece saying something like, quickly lets go! Once we´d arrived in Puerto Iguazu we had the hassle of finding somewhere to stay which isn´t easy with  15 to 20kg of backpack! After some refusing of expensive places and finding a few that had no doubles, a kind chap offered to phone round for us and found one we´d heard of at a reasonable price, so we strapped on our bags and walked to El Güembe hostel a few blocks off the main street. For P$90 (15 quid) we got a double with bathroom and swimming pool right outside our door & it included breakfast. After some lunch we walked into the center to change our Reals into Pesos, then walked down to the 3 borders where you can see Brazil and Paraguay across the river. On the way back we did some shopping for dinner then soaked off the heat of the day in the pool. For dinner we had beef burgers in the kitchen where we met Suvisa and her mother Monta two crazy ladies from Thailand. After an evening of chatting it was time to shower then bed after a movie.

20th Nov.

Got up early for breakfast which compared to Brazilian standards was lacking, not quite as bad as Peru but a bread roll and jam or Dulce de Leche (milk caramel spread) and sponge fingers, with tea, coffee or hot milk but no juice. After breakfast we caught a bus to the park entrance where we got on a train that took us to some of the falls. This side we got a lot closer and you could feel the power of them, we were able to get right down to the falls base and also to the top and walk across to the next one, and then the next one, there are so many it´s amazing! At lunchtime we headed back to the train to catch it to the Devils Throat (Garganta del Diablo) which is amazing! At the end of the line there is a 1k walkway suspended across the top of the river and when you get to the end of that there is what looks like a giant sink hole with tons of water going down it. Here you really feel the force of such a natural beast! Walking back over the walkway Cat had a Blue butterfly land on her hand, and there it stayed sucking on the salt from her sweat, not wishing to be outdone I managed to get one to land on me, which kind of tickled. Exhausted we headed out of the park and back to town to get something for dinner which was stir-fried BBQ chicken and rice before grabbing a shower and getting some sleep.

21st Nov.

A non touristy day today so up for breakfast at 9.30 and then research for a ruin near Posadas, but a quick look on the web showed it was in more decline than we'd thought and logistically it was easier to get the bus direct to Buenos Aires. So we hunted the net for hostels and caught up on email before heading into town to book our bus tickets and then find something for lunch. For lunch we had empanadas and chips, these ones were lovely a bit like pasties. As the supermarket was shut untill later we headed back to the hostel for a rest then around 6pm back to the shop to buy nochi with tomato sauce and tuna. When we got back Su and her mum had returned from their day trip to the Brazil side of the falls and Su was keen to tell us all about her travels in Argentina, share tips and kindly gave us the pages of her Lonely Planet that she didn't need anymore. After some dinner we checked email and found that if we were members of Hola (Latin American version of YHA) we could get discounts on some of the hostels and as one of the ones we were looking at was a Hola hostel we thought we'd better join. So as it was free we walked down to Garden Stone also a Hola hostel and picked up a card, logged on and registered. Rather tired we watched another Hustle and got off to bed.

22nd Nov.

Got up late and had a leisurely breakfast, then straight on the net to see if we have anywhere to stay yet. We had a few replies from hostels and also one from Federico that we'd met on the boat from Tabatinga who we hope to meet up with in BA. we also heard from our best friend Andre who we're hoping to see in the US. We replied to one of the hostels and headed into town to get some lunch, but on our return found out that the room we wanted was no longer available, so we replied to the other hostel and hopefully they have one. At 2.30pm we strapped on our heavy bags and walked to the bus station where we waved off Su and her mum as they were going to Sao Paulo at the same time, then boarded our bus for our 18hr ride to BA. Now talk about luxury, we were in camas which recline a bit more than the semi-cama and are much wider seats so much so they can only fit 3 across the width of the bus as apposed to 4. At around 6pm they put a movie on called Leap Year (an Irish American rom com) gratefully in English with Spanish subtitles then at 8pm we arrived into Posadas where the stewards loaded up our dinner and drinks and when we got going the steward came round and offered Whiskey, followed by our dinner packs that looked disappointing with cheese and ham roll crackers and a piece of cake, but not long after he came round with a hot addition which was chicken and a sort of veg roll in a tomato sauce closely followed with beer and soft drink. Even more surprising he came round after with Champagne! After dinner we settled in to an on board movie called 3000 Miles to Graceland which was all action until the DVD player messed up towards the end of the film! Tired we tried to get some sleep in our comfy armchairs.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: