Trip Start Jan 19, 2012
Trip End Jul 08, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Lakeview Guesthouse

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The day after Triney arrived the weather wasn't great for sunbathing so after breakfast (at which I ate far too much, the bread here is amazing and they have baked beans!!) we strolled down the road from the hotel to JC Tours and organised a 3 night trip around the island through Kandy, Nuwara Eliya and then to the south coast for the beach.

The tour was so cheap, and right on budget, plus it would take the stress out of having to find our own way around. Jude (the J of JC Tours) kindly took us on a tour of Negombo and showed us some local churches, a temple with a big Buddha statue and treated us to some local delicacies like sweetcorn(!) and a King Coconut.

After dinner I started to feel a bit strange but put it down to too much sun as I had got burned while sitting out after our tour around Negombo.

The next morning, I woke up feeling very dehydrated. I took some rehydration salts and prayed that that would do the trick. We left in the taxi and I started to feel even worse- so annoying as we had planned elephant riding today. I slept and we got out of the car occasionally to see things along the way like a pineapple plantation, a rubber plantation. My heart wasn't really in it but I tried to make the most of it. After the elephant ride I didn't really move again all day. I was relieved when we made it to the guesthouse and had a nap. After that we went to see some Kandyan dancing as I was feeling slightly better. It was very entertaining.

Jude kept on that I should drink Coconut Arrack to make myself feel better. The last thing that I wanted to do when I had spent all day trying to rehydrate was to drink alcohol, but, as he had been to the trouble of buying a whole bottle of this "Extra special" stuff I felt obliged to try a bit. It tasted like the rum we had in India- basically rocket fuel. NO THANKS!! After a couple of sips I had to get myself to bed!! I was hopeful of a recovery the next day as I didn't want to miss out. Thank god we paid for a driver though, it would have been hell to have to manage on public transport feeling weak, with a rucksack the size of your nephew on your back (in fact I think it is heavier than William and not as nice to cuddle :-))
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


libby on

Bad luck, at least you had katrina to look after you x

catherinewalker on

Yes, she was very patient with me!!

walkerian on

Try to make a bottle of water your permanent and best friend Cath - always keep one in your rucksack, regardless of the extra weight and take Alka Seltzer also - it works under influence of alcohol or not for re-hydration I believe !

A floppy hat would maybe help to keep the sun off - as most hats suit you very well.

Keep smiling through all the adversities and enjoy the experiences :)-


Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: