Our last stop (this time) in Guatemala --Tikal --

Trip Start Sep 10, 2006
Trip End ??? ??, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Guatemala  ,
Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sat. 12th was another real early travel day (do you see a pattern forming?). We were up at 6am and walking to the bus terminal to get a bus or micro up to tikal. It ended up being microbus, boat, microbus, chicken bus. It was a long 9 and 1/2 hours of travel. But yes this time we actually took time and had lunch at a fastfood chicken restaurant. The boat was just a quick one to cross the river because there is no bridge. The last bus ride was the worst. It was completly full and because it was market day everyone had tons of food and supplies to bring home, the bus stopped every 100 meters or so for 5 minutes each time to unload stuff. This last bus charged us more for the bus ride than the locals pay and we argued with him but to no avail. Finally we got to Tikal and set up our tent at the Jaguar Inn, a nice hotel right near the park entrance. We ended up buying about 4 gallons or so of water to save money which amazingly we used most of over the next day and a half. We cooked a fabulaous dinner of kraft mac and cheese chatted with some montana folk and crashed early.
Sun. 13th, we got up around 5am, cooked a very bland breakfast of outmeal and got into the park a little after 6am. This was a great thing for we had the park pretty much to ourselves for most of the morning, we also beat most of the heat. Tikal is a vey large park with walks of 20 minutes or so between sites but the walks were through the jungle were we saw plenty of monkeys and some tucans. The ruins themselves were very cool and we climbed to the top of a few of the temples. These all had amazing views above the treetops. There was hardly and art work or limestone carvings which was a bummer. But the park was beautiful and we had a great time walking around the jungle. We spent about 7 hours exploring the ruins with a small lunch break of mayoless tuna on crackers, hard boiled eggs and bananas. On the way out we stopped to check out the 2 museums here but you had to pay for both of them and they did not look all that good so we skipped that and went back to the hotel for a rest. After playing some cards and having a drink we went back out for another hike, because we did not walk enough around the ruins. This hike was painful. First the mosquitos were horrible (HARrible, for drew) then while hiking I managed to stub my toe with a stick Casey had kicked up, I got bit by some ants and brushed my shoulder up against a tree with very sharp spike on its trunk. Fun, really. The hike was about 5k and we hiked it pretty fast to keep the mosquitos away. Along the way we saw a very large old tree, some other cool trees, the butt of a coati and tons of mosquitos. The best part of the hike was a tree mirador. Basicly a platform way up in the top of the tree. Great, more ladders, and this one was even more scary(for me) than the others. Apparently as I get older I get more scared of climbing up ladders. Back at the hotel we cooked another fabulous dinner of spagetti with red sauce and tuna, chatted with a nice Texan and went to bed early once again for another early morning tomorrow.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: