Old Bar Kombi Fest....was the best!!

Trip Start Sep 28, 2009
Trip End Apr 22, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Lanis on the Beach

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Sunday, October 3, 2010


2nd October 2010

We left the Sydney campsite in torrential rain which seemed to come out of nowhere, luckily we had just finish packing up and Gary had gone for his last pee before the journey. He came back drenched, water dripping off his nose and shorts soaked through to the skin.  All campsites have strict rules about vacating the campsite by 10am, as it was five to ten we drove out the gate and then parked up the other side and waited for the rain to ease.  The journey home was a mix of drizzle and driving rain, this is not summer.....Mark already blames us 'pommie's for the bad weather.  We popped in Aldi’s for a quick shop before pulling up on Mark and Diane’s front.

They were eating lunch when we arrived, River came out to greet us having heard our van cheep when we locked it up.  We had a quick catch up on weekly events and a run down on our week in Sydney and then got on with some chores.  It’s the big Kombi Festival in Old Bar this weekend and we are getting up early to follow Mark and Di and three other Kombi’s in Kombi Convoy to it, stopping for breakfast on the way.  So Mark got the hose out and gave the VW a loving wash, Gary gave the van a once over at the same time.  I got on with finished the blog ready to borrow some wifi from Dave and Anne-Marie’s, we had planned to pop in on them anyway to say good-bye but Diane was still having problems getting broadband in the new house so it was a good excuse to call round, we took River with us.  We went in and had a good chat and a catch up with them too, I put the blog on and Gary popped up the road to collect something from the old house.  Two beers (one in each house) and a glass of wine for me, later we left Bentley Street and headed back home for a quick change and out to the Grand in Newcastle for $10 steak and free schooner dinner with Mark and Di, his Mum, Dad, Sister Kath and Mark R. We had a fantastic night, the food was excellent as always, the company was great, lot’s of funny stories around the table and everyone was incredible generous.   We all went back into the bar for a last drink and to listen to the live singer before going home.....and also to make the pub look busy as we were the only group of people there.  This is where it all went from a nice sensible night out to, large amount of Jim Beam being drunk, Mark’s Dad, Don, found an iphone and then we couldn’t get rid of the girl whose phone it was as she was very tipsy and thought Don was wonderful.  Her friends then joined us and Diane spent the evening firing off name of people she and this guy ‘Bird Man’ knew in Redhead. The evening came to an end with Don up on stage singing Ave Maria without actually knowing the words and  Gary and Mark R singing ‘Swing Low Sweet Chariot’ at the top of their voices on the back seat of the SUV while I did the actions.....poor Kath she was driving. We dropped Don and Fran off at home, they sent Gary off with a crate of KB and a crate of Crown beer plus a tin of Jim Beam each for the journey.  Our van is going to rattle like a milk float when we drive along......very generous though.

Sunday 3rd October 2010

Did I mention that we had to be up very early this morning for the Kombi show, well to top this and the large amount of alcohol that was consumed the night before, we also had daylight-saving steeling an hour of our sleep, so we had to be up even earlier. The clock said 5.30am but our body clock and thick head said 4.30am.  A quick shower and a final check round that we hadn’t left anything behind before jumping in the vans and leaving Redhead for the next ten months.  It wasn’t the best of starts, the torrential rain made the roads wet and slippery.  We lost Mark and Diane almost straight away so we just followed the Sat Nav hoping they would contact us when they had met the others and back on route.  The others it turned out had left already but one of them had broken down so it didn’t look like they would make it.  We eventually all met up about an hour into the journey and just in time for breakfast.  We continued on for another hour once we had full bellies.
When we got to the show we left Mark and Di registering their Kombi while we took a chance that the Campsite next door wasn’t too full and could fit us in.  As luck would have it, the owners were English and took a shine to our St George Cross flag in the window so found us a pitch and at a discount rate.  We parked the van and walked over to find the others, which might have been difficult if Mark didn’t have such a distinctive Kombi, there must have been over two hundred Kombi’s all different shapes, colours and sizes, there was even a stretch limo version call a Lombi

    If you have a Kombi you park it up in a field full of VW Kombi’s and you leave it open so people can come round and look in it.  Mark’s beautifully restored 1977 model got a lot of interests almost as soon as he pulled up, people coming over asking questions about it and where he got part’s from.  We had a wander round the market stalls but I was eager to look at all the VW’s.  This was like a dream come true I have always loved the VW campervan and wish they have been big enough and  reliable enough for our big journey....how cool would that have been.  Still I was happy just to be strolling near all these great models now.  I am sorry if you have no interest or love of Kombi’s because you may find the photo’s boring but just be thankful I didn’t put the whole seventy five of them on......’cause I wanted to.
It was very late on in the day, and very unlike Gary, but he discovered a free tasting marquee, there was Yellow Tail wine, Toohey’s dry cider, a local guy selling port and Carlsberg lager table.  They were all very sizeable tasters and we both visited each one and had a long chat while they filled our glasses up.  The Yellow Tail girl even took our photo and asked us to come back if we wanted to try them all again.

This is our last day with Mark and Diane, so after the show they came back to our van for a quick goodbye drink.  The last two months have flown by and we have enjoyed every minute we have spent in their company, they are a fantastic couple who have treated us like family and made us feel very welcome in their lives.  We can’t thank them enough for their big hearts and big fridge, and look forward to our next adventure with them.

This is it we are on our own....Australia are you ready?
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


websters on

What was the festival called and what was special about it?

Rach on

I lost my iphone too while checking out the Kombi's on Sunday and really had my hopes up that you found it....sigh

carsonsontour2 on

Hi Rach, Funny you should say that, they made an announcement about 2 - 2.30pm on Sunday that a Iphone was found.....I have no idea how you get in touch with the organisers though.
Good luck hope you find it.

Kath Russ on

Loved reading your blogs. Very entertaining...keep them up xoxo

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: