June 6, 2008

Trip Start Jun 05, 2008
Trip End Jul 08, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  ,
Sunday, June 8, 2008

     We have been in Costa Rica a little over 24 hours.  It is lovely.   Our flight was very good without complications.  We arrived in Libera about 6:20PM.  It was already dark here.  The airport was very simple but had the largest paddle ceiling fan I have ever seen.  Customs was very easy to get through and our driver was waiting for us.  The ride to Samara took about 2 hours 20 minutes and we now understand why they don't recommend tourist to drive after dark.  The roads are very dark, windy, and it was up and down hill.  We still can't figure out why our driver would upshift on the uphill climbs. ;-) 
     We arrived at our hotel about 9:00 pm.  Our room has a king bed, ac, and the hotel has WIFi. We had a very hard rain last night.  This morning Ray took a shower (Kathy and Pat will relate to this) there wasn't any hot water.  We then went off to breakfast, Ray stopped at the office to inquire about the hot water. (They said they would take care of it!).  They did - but you better be quick with the shower; it gets cold fast.   They were out of the local breakfast but they did have the American breakfast of fried eggs, ham and toast.  After breakfast we walked into town along the beach.  It was lovely.  We had another hard rain on the way.  We found the supermarket to get out of the rain.  It is the only supermarket in town; it's about the size of three 7-11's.  It had a little of everything.  We also went past our school. 
     After returning to the hotel we went out to get some sun.  Our hotel is very tropical.  There are banyon trees, palm trees, and other lovely vegetation.  They also have iguanas.  Ugh!   After getting some sun we went back down the beach to get some lunch.  We met two couples at the restaurant, they both had houses in Costa Rica, one had residency and the other had applied.  It took a long time to get.  It was interesting talking with them.   While eating lunch there was a loud crash, a coconut fell off one of the trees onto the roof.  We had a long walk back to the hotel after lunch to get some exercise.  We found out you can't purchase cell phones here.  You have to apply through the government and be a resident.  Oh well, at least we have internet.   Tonight we went back along the beach to get some dinner, and needed a flash light to get back to our place.  It is amazing how dark it is by 6:15. 
     The ocean is surprisingly warm for the Pacific.  It is good to use the tide table if using the beach for transportation.  The road to our hotel is very windy and not safe to walk along at night.  I must say this is a lovely country tho.  Samara is a community in which tourism is in its infancy.  One more thought.  It was amazing how our plane was packed with Americans and Canadians.  It hardly had any locals.   We will write more later.   

Carolyn and Ray 
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: