They say toucans don't usually attack humans...

Trip Start Jan 16, 2012
Trip End Aug 24, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Argentina  ,
Thursday, June 7, 2012

On arrival in Foz do Iguazu, we checked into our hostel and caught a bus straight away to the waterfalls, as we didn't want to hang around here after hearing the Argentinian side of the falls was a lot nicer both at the waterfalls and in the town. By the time we got to the falls it was quite late, around half four, and there were barely anyone else there. We had to get a bus to the actual waterfalls, which passed by a lot of stops like river safaris, canyon swings etc. When we got off the bus we could hear the roar of the waterfalls immediately, and after a short walk down a forest track we were able to see them in all their glory. We had heard that the Brazilian side is more of a grand overview of the waterfalls whereas the argentinian side is where you can go right up close and get more of a proper experience of them. This was pretty accurate, as on the Brazilian side the tracks led you along sort of opposite to the waterfalls, which were just incredible the pure length of them and amount of little individual streams that make up the whole thing. Every turn in the path brought us out to a different perspective, so we got a whole load of photos before the path brought us out right in front of the falls, where there was like a wooden bridge stretching across the front of the biggest of the waterfalls. We were getting some weird looks as we had turned up in shorts and flip flops whereas everyone else was wrapped up and wearing waterproof ponchos to protect against the spray, and the poncho thing was definitely a good idea crossing the bridge, as we got completely soaked through and our photos turned out less than impressive due to all the water on the lens! We got out of there fast before we ended up breaking our second camera of the trip! It was amazing to get this perspective as we could see the sheer amount of water coming over the ledge and quickly flowing under the bridge. Our pictures look kind of dull though compared to our Argentinian ones as the combination of the late time of day and all the spray made everything look quite grey. However the falls were very impressive, and this was just from the "worse" side. We were looking forward to seeing what the Argentinian side had to offer.
After spending a small fortune in the pizza hut across the road and a good night sleep in the warm hostel room, we woke up early to catch the short bus to Puerto Iguazu, Argentina. The bus dropped us at the Brazilian border to get our exit stamp, but didn't wait for us to get it, so we had to sit outside in the freezing cold waiting for the next bus to come along. After about an hour a bus finally came, dropped us at the Argentinian border control and thankfully waited for us to get stamped and get back on the bus. Upon arrival in Puerto Iguazu we walked about two blocks from the bus station to our hostel to check in. The hostel was quite nice, although most of the communal areas were outside so were absolutely freezing cold. The room was heated however which was a positive, and our bed were right under the heating system. We decided to give ourselves a full day at the Argentinian side of the waterfalls, so the rest of that day was spent looking around the town, which was actually really pretty and a bit alpine. We originally fancied crossing the border into Paraguay for a look as they supposedly sell very cheap electronics, but after asking the hostel staff it sounded a bit too much effort so we stuck around Pto Iguazu. We took a wander to the site where the three borders (argentina, brazil and Paraguay) met and took a few photos. Then we bought some stuff for tea (celebrating being back in Argentina for a few days with steak and a bottle of red) and went back to the hostel to cook, meeting two lovely kiwis in the kitchen and chatting to them as they had just came down from bolivia and peru.
The next morning we woke up early, had breaka in the hostel then went and got a bus to the national park. Once in the park we were given a map showing lots of different walking routes, which brought you out at various falls viewpoints. We started on the upper trail, which enabled us to see over the ledge as the water was falling. Then the lower trail, which brought us much closer to the falls, right up to them so we could fully appreciate their size. We had wanted to take the boat trip to the little island where there were a couple more paths, but it was closed due to the high water level, so we took a little train up to the crowning jewel of the falls, the "Devils Throat". This was possibly the most impressive sight we have seen on our travels. Viewed from the top, it was like a huge circle of water falling down a massive hole, you could barely see the bottom for mist. Looking at the water made me a bit dizzy, there was just so much of it. I makes you wonder where all the water comes from and how there is that much that it just keeps on coming!? Incredible. We tried to get as many half decent photos as we could with our terrible terrible camera, trying not to look jealously at other peoples camera screens when they snapped an incredibly clear shot, then headed back down to catch the train back to the entrance. My one disappointment about the park was that we didn't manage to catch sight of one of the toucans that apparently are flying around everywhere!
Later that evening we chilled out in the kitchen with our new friends and filled four Tupperware boxes with chilli con carne in preparation for our long bus journey the following day! One of the people we were chatting to in the hostel kindly donated her llama wool jumper to me in preparation for the apparent arctic conditions up in Bolivia, which was ace!

The waterfalls had been every bit as impressive as we had heard, and well worth the long bus journey each side to get there and away. Our next stop is Bolivia, but seeing as it is a 24hr bus journey just to Salta, a city in northern Argentina, we decided to stop off there a day or two to recover before making the final trip up to Bolivia.

Wils x
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Snellers Senior on

You really have been to some amazing places, it brings out the Geographer in me and I am so jealous. Keep safe and warm on the next stage of the journey!


Well guys I have to confess that for various reasons (including a broken laptop) I have been well behind in reading your blogs. However I have just spent he last two hours sat in the chair on mums ipad catching up with all your activities and adventures so I am now up to date. it is just incredible what you are both experiencing and your blogs will be nice to look back on for years to come. The turtle experience sounds amazing to me and I would have loved that. Keep up the good blogging work Carlz and look after each other. Xxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: