Into the Wild

Trip Start Jan 16, 2012
Trip End Aug 24, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Sunday, March 11, 2012

We are just on the plane having left this incredible country, and have already watched a film and played a few rounds of trivia on the tv so can't put off blogging any longer. 

From Bundaberg we drove down to Hervey bay, which was no more than a few hours drive. Hervey bay was just a small coastal town, not much to write home about. The main reason people stop here is just to get to Fraser island. On arrival we found the hostel to book our trip through, sorted that out then went to find somewhere to park up for the night. We found a car park by the sea and cooked some dinner, but as it got dark and the bats and other creatures came out, it looked less and less appealing to sleep there, even with our new mosquito net purchased in Bundaberg so we can actually sleep with windows down. We ended up driving to a YHA and parking up there for relatively cheap which felt a lot safer. The next day we had to spend around Hervey as our Fraser island trip wasnt until the following day. I can't actually remember what we did so it can't have been anything exciting. That night we had to go to the booking office for a talk about the following few days, where we were put in groups of eight and shown the most corny video on driving safely on Fraser and not provoking dingoes. We then ordered our food as a group, our group consisted of us, four welshies and two Germans, they seemed like a really nice bunch.
Next morning we arrived at the meeting point early and were given our 4x4s, having nominated one of the welsh lads Joe as our first designated driver to the ferry. The trip got off to a good start as, when we were speeding toward the boat, at the back of the line of jeeps, there was a massive bang followed by more dodgy noises and after Joe calmly pulled over to the side of the road, one of our tyres had burst and was completely shredded all over the road. It was pretty funny as stood round staring the bald wheel and watched the other cars driving off oblivious, Snellers pointing out it had sounded like someone was shooting at us. Eventually the guide came back for us and ordered a new car, and we only just made the boat in time. The ride was only 45 minutes to the island, and we watched dolphins jumping out of the water as we pulled away. 
Once on the island we followed the guide, Murray, straight to the first site. The island is completely made of sand, there are no real roads, just sand tracks and they aren't exactly a smooth ride. Some of the tracks look impossible to drive and bumped you around like mad. It was about this time that the four girls decided we would let the boys do the driving! We were led to a sort of rainforest track where an old station used to be and spent a while exploring here. After lunch (cheese singles and tiny bread rolls which we thought would last us the three days) we drove to Lake Wabby. We parked on the beach, and as soon as getting out of the car were swarmed with these giant flies which settled quietly on you then bit you before you realised it (it hurts) I was flapping around in a frenzy and Snellers was getting beyond frustrated at me, getting his flip flop and trying to kill as many as possible. The lake was a good forty minute walk away through hilly sand tracks, but it was well worth it as we arrived at the biggest sand dune I've ever seen, like a field of sand, with the lake at the end. The lake was clear and green and surrounded by trees, it was very impressive. We went swimming with the catfish, then trekked back to the jeeps. We then went to camp, which was a load of four man tents and a little hut with barbecues and picnic benches. It was literally back to basics. We put our stuff in a tent and cooked our value burgers, while the Germans cooked up some sort of exotic curry with vegetables I've never even heard of. Then we got straight on the (warm) goon, teaching them all the card games from back home.
Next morning we had to get up at 7 and I'm sure none of us were feeling up to it, especially joe and Kim who had been up until 5 that morning! We went straight to another lake, this one was a tea tree lake and was brown in colour, it didn't look that inviting but Snellers and the German guy, Dominic, we're straight in. Dominic was hilarious, he was like a real life action man. The previous night when the camp was being terrorised by dingoes, he was chasing them round trying to get a photo and going on dingo hunt armed with a brush handle. In the lake, he caught a turtle with his bare hands and passed it round to look at. Him and Snellers were like best mates by the end of the trip, mainly due to football (stuttgart/everton). After the lake went to a lookout point called Indian head, where there were amazing views of the islands long beaches and shark infested waters. On the way back to camp we stopped at a famous shipwreck on the beach, completely rusted and embedded in the sand, and also stopped at the "champagne pools" which are basically giant rock pools which the waves crash over and look like champagne coming down the rocks. This was alright, but nothing compared to swimming in the fresh clean lake waters. That night at camp, Dom decided he wanted to go fishing, me Snellers and joe went with him down to the beach, where the sunset was amazing and all was fine until it got a bit darker and the dingoes came out to play. They must have smelt the bait as one just wouldn't leave joe alone, no matter how much he swung for it with his fishing rod, it just kept coming back to him and was getting more and more aggressive. We had been told the rules regarding dingos (kick sand at them, keep arms folded and don't turn your back) but this one wasn't going anywhere, and when I saw more approaching from the grass areas I was not happy and wanted to go back to camp! We all packed up and walked back, the boys all forming a dingo proof shield around me and dom pretending they were right behind us! At camp we ate and most of the group went to bed, feeling it from the night before. We stayed up with Dom and his girlfriend Steffi for a while, but not late. 
On our final day on the island, we were going to the "crowning jewel" of the island, Lake Mackenzie. First we stopped at Eli Creek, where we walked through the creek seeing lots of huge spiders and lizards. When we tried to leave, the tide had came in a lot, and typically having the petrol car we couldn't go through deep water. We had to be towed by the lead car through the sea. Then, on the other side, the only way to get across the beach was to drive over a massive patch of rocks blocking the way. Dom had offered me to drive earlier that day, and at this point I was extremely glad I hadn't. He ploughed straight for the rocks and it honestly felt like we were going to tip over any minute, we were flung all over the car it was terrifying, but also pretty funny. Still alive the other side, we carried on to Mackenzie. The lake was possibly the nicest we've ever seen, the water was crystal clear and so blue, surrounded by sand and trees. We spend a good while chucking a rugby ball around in the lake before getting back in the car and heading to the ferry back to the mainland. 
Back in Hervey bay we said goodbye to all our new friends and got back in the Jucy to head straight down towards Noosa.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Snellers Senior on

Did the dingos steal any babies?

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: