Silver Sands

Trip Start Apr 24, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Tanzania  ,
Friday, October 12, 2012

We were in a bit of a rush as we had to get to Eckhart, a German Engineering workshop about 30 km north of Dar where Ronald and Rini would be storing their vehicle before leaving to Netherland on Monday. We also wanted to talk to Eckhart to see if he could help us find a deep cycle battery for the trailer. One of ours is "cooked". 

We found Eckhart's place. Satisfied that the premises were safe, we made arrangements to meet him there in a couple of hours as he was in Dar on business.  We managed to make our way to the waterfront to a restaurant for lunch.  It took us at least an hour to get there as the road works, traffic and maze of little dirt roads, took us though this part of town.  The water front was definitely worth it even though we were ravenous by the time we got there. 

We were running a bit late to meet Eckhart and could not spend time at the interesting shops on the water front. There was still the drive back to Eckhart to take into consideration.

Back at Eckhart’s, Ronald made arrangements to drop the car off on Saturday.  Eckhart said he would try to get hold of a battery for us.  He directed us to the only camp site in the area. Silver Sands Hotel.  Earlier we were told (By the Belgium’s), not to stay at the Silver Sands Campsite as it was not safe.  Not having much of an option we went there to take a look.  Other than being completely dilapidated, it seemed fine.  We were received with such enthusiasm with the familiar “Jambo! Karibu Sana” and were assured that they had security guards on duty. It is a fantastic spot and we were the only ones there.  Camping right on the beach.  They even arranged for us to have electricity. The fact that we were not alone made it a safe enough option.

There are two islands just off shore and a small bay to the right.  It is a busy fishing spot with Dhows coming in and going out of the sea throughout the day. Dozens of men arched their backs as they pulled out the nets that was left out earlier.  We could also see the Ferries passing to and from Zanzibar several times a day. The reef creates a calm beach with small waves. 

 The wind was a bit of a problem at times as it blew with a strong constancy for hours some times. It almost “took us out” occasionally .  This meant that we had to put all the possible pegs in to secure the tent. 

After opening up the battery storage we noticed that one of the batteries was dead.  Carlos went to see Eckhart to ascertain if he managed to find a deep cycle battery for us but it turned out to be futile. We had to close it up again.  Carlos also replaced the one water pump switch that packed up a day or so before.

We bought crayfish and Carlos did the necessary to cook them. We would have Crayfish with mayo before the Red Snapper, chips and vegetables for dinner .  In a way, it was a farewell dinner because in the morning we would take leave of Ronald and Rini.  Ronald played music for us whiles we had our coffee. We have become accustomed to him doing so to a sort of request list. Good music and  a good time was had by all.

Early to rise as we all had a busy day ahead. We had to get to down town Dar El Salaam to find Toyota to book a service for the car, check out the safe parking options and to find a place to stay. Ronald and Rini had to get to Eckhart and so we said our goodbyes and made a pack to see each other again be it in SA or in Africa.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: