Trip Start Apr 24, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Zambia  ,
Thursday, August 16, 2012


We were happy to see that the road to Lusaka is in good condition. A tar road, flat and straight, for the most part of it. We had to make it to Toyota Lusaka in time to arrange for a service. With the GPS set on fastest route, we drove through the industrial area. 

It is very busy with a lot of brick yards everywhere.  All along the road there are woman breaking rocks into small pieces. Selling it either by the heap or in plastic bags.  The coal business is bussing and every second bicycle is loaded to the max with bags of the stuff. The locals have and interesting wheelbarrow system going. The wheel of the wheelbarrow is replaced with a serious looking tyre and an extension to the frame makes it possible to load lots more stuff onto it.  When I say stuff, it can be tires,bread, tools, bricks or whatever you can imagine.  The "wheel-trucks" even have registration numbers!  Clever idea should bring the idea home.

Traffic is rather hair rising. We got to Toyota in time but we were told that they could only service it a week from today.  This was not going to work for us.  We had to speak to Mike and Christine to see what we would do.  On our way to Pioneer Camp just outside Lusaka, we saw another, smaller branch of Toyota.  I jumped out, ran across the street and was happy to hear that they could service the car the next morning. 

We were speculating about Lusaka and what we could expect. Well, they have everything! Woolworth's, Spar, Wimpy, Mug &Bean, Pick a Pay, Food Lovers Market, etc. We have to get to camp before sunset and don't have time to stop to shop. Once at the Pioneer, We set up the tent and took everything out of the car, ready for its service early next morning.  Carlos would take it in and while waiting, go to the Tanzanian Embassy to apply for a visa.  I will stay at camp; do the laundry and cleaning the fridges etc.

Mike and Christine had the same chores to perform with the added issue of cleaning out the storage compartment where a bottle of milk leaked out causing it to smell bad. Afterward they went into town and brought back a yummy Hot Dog for lunch.  Carlos was back later and then the car had to be repacked – always a good experience as everything is neat and tidy for a while thereafter.

Meal times with the Johnsons are always great and we eat far too much.  With tummies full and ready for the next leg we said goodnight.  After camp break up, shower and filling of the water tanks we made our way to Lower Zambezi – The plan was to stop for breakfast at Mug & Bean after picking up the visa, but a gremlin got in the works and we only did a small shop and then met up at Makeni turnoff. 

Lucky for us – Christine made lovely sandwiches for the car which we tucked into right then. Not having too far to go and only one ferry to cross.  Mike asked a local whom suggested “Wild Tracks” as a camp site. There was a fishing competition on this weekend and we were just too happy to find a place to camp.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: