Trip Start Apr 24, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Namibia  , Caprivi,
Thursday, July 12, 2012

Today was going to be a day with a difference, we just did not know it yet.
Carlos was going to get the first real water crossing of the trip for one.
I was under the weather with some kind of tummy bug feeling quite "naar" and not in the mood for traveling.  I decided to take the half a back seat that was left to try to sleep a bit in order to feel more human. 
On the way to Nsheshe, just after the craft and tribal village, Carlos arrived to a real water crossing. Having stopped to ask a local if he could go through (she confirmed),  he asked if I wanted to get out and walk across the traditional bridge as he imagined that I was not up for the water crossing.  Any other day I would have done just that - but feeling offish, I stayed in the car.  Carlos decided that he only had one chance at crossing this river successfully and that he would put foot to do so.  Not saying what he was about to do, he went for it!  Next thing I know, we hit that water at a speed. Tuna's nose in first. Water came rushing over the nose of the car and over the roof.  Carlos forgot to close his window and so all that water found its way into the car, even on to me in the back seat.  Shocked and impressed (without having taken a single photo) at the fact that we made it through without getting stuck, we stopped on the other side to check how an local did the crossing.  He went in slowly and took another angle.  OK, now we know for when we go back. What we did not know was that we lost our front number plate in the process.
Just a little way further, Carlos met Linus.  His NBF!  Linus turns out to be Nsheshe - the camp where we were going to 's manager.  He and Carlos hit it off immediately and so a friendship started.  Linus was on his way to the village when we met him, but now,  he was taking us there personally. He made sure we got the best stand and that we were settled before going to the village.  This is when we noticed that the number plate was missing.  This was not good as we still had many miles to complete. Linus said he would look out for it at the river. He would also find out if there were any men available to take us on a Makoro ride later.
While we had time to kill we decided to take a drive in the direction of Mamili Park.  We met Simon at Nkasa Lupala, a Lodge not far from Linus at Nsheshe.  Simon and his brother are co-owners of this upmarket lodge that caters largely for foreigners.  They used the same architect as at Tweifelfontein.  Although very different from Tweifelfonteins construction, the same elements were used and equally successfully.  They offer a very competitive rate here.  R1000 or N dollar for dinner, bed and breakfast, in comparison with the Botswana Lodges.  What a nice person.  We wish them all the best. 
We made it "home" just as the sun was setting.  Not long afterward Linus arrived with our missing license plate in hand.  A young boy picked it out of the river and took it with him to another village about 12km away to go visit his gran ma.  When Linus got to the river he asked the ladies doing their washing if they did not see the missing plate, this is when he was told about the boy.  Linus went all the way to find the boy and to get the number plate back for us. 
After chatting around the fire for a while Linus arranged - after a number of phone calls - for us to go into Mamili Park early the next morning without paying the park fee in order to have a better chance at seeing buffalo.  He would join us at 6 am the next morning to take us to all the right places and to see that we did not get stuck as the roads in the area were flooded. 
As arranged we met up with Linus at 6am.  Sandra, his wife, joined us too. 
A lovely couple.  It was so good to have some friendly company with us. We saw the Buffalo we came to see as well as a flock of storks, an unexpected sight.  The road to Mparamure and Liadura was indeed flooded so we could not get to it.  Linus amused us with his wit and sayings and when talking about music, Linus asked if we knew  his favorite artist, Juanita du Plessis? Well, we could not believe this. An born and breed Namibian that love Juanita du Plessis! I had 2 albums saved on USB - thanks to Sarie! No sooner did we put it on and the lot of us were bopping away to Juanita's Scrumba. He was full of compliments for Afrikaans musicians.  We promised to download it for him onto his lap top. Sandra is a very good dancer and Linus was keen for her to dance for him at the beat of Juanita. Stranger things have happened I suppose, but this was somewhat out of the ordinary. I should let her know that her biggest fan lives in Namibia.
Arriving back at Nsheshe, Carlos printed their photo's for them and put Juanita onto his computer before breaking up camp.  It was sad to say goodbye. We exchanged phone numbers and e-mail addresses and hopes to see one another again some time.
On the way back to the river crossing - a museum in remembrance of David Livingstone, is just off the road so we stopped to pay it a visit. Sadly the little building was locked so I had to take photos through a broken window pane and the grave could not be found by us either. By now we were in a bit of a hurry as it was mid day and we still had to get to Katima Mulilo. We continued on the "new road" being built not sure where our next "home" would be.  We will not forget Nsheshe. 

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: