MN: Chevy's at the Mall

Trip Start May 28, 2011
Trip End Jun 13, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Bloomington Country Inn and Suites

Flag of United States  , Minnesota
Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 1:
 We made great time on our flight to Minneapolis and arrive 45 minutes early.  The airport was well organized and had a tram to the rental car area which made moving the luggage easy, yeah!  We managed to get something besides a white Dodge Charger!  We picked up Chevy Impala, ironically with California plates.  The Bloomington Country Inn & Suites hotel was only a few miles away from the airport.  After settling in, we went out to eat at the Chevy's next door.  After a long day traveling, it was good to have a familiar place to eat right next door.  After dinner, we walked across the street to the Mall of America.  The place was geared toward driving in and we had walk through the service entrance to make it to the Mall entrance.  Once we found it we were greeted with a large Memorial day crowd.  Kristina found a store with Christmas ornaments in record time and we found our official Minnesota ornament and magnet.  We then gave in to the kids demand to see the Lego store and it was very impressive.  There were huge statues made from Legos.  We'll head back tomorrow for some pictures.  The store had a bin of mini-figure parts and the kids could make their own mini-figures, which the kids thoroughly enjoyed.  We then got some ice cream to reward the kids for a good flight and then walked back to the Hotel.  Once again we ended up leaving the service entrance.  Even after the long walk, the kids were still wound up.  It is now 11pm and the kids are still not asleep. :-(  It is going to be a long day tomorrow.  Mike, Shelly and the kids are coming tomorrow and everyone is excited about their visit.

Day 2:
The kids slept well last night and got up around 8am, which we were pretty happy with given how late they went to bed.   Dad went down with the kids to the hotel breakfast, but the line was out the door, so they bailed and went to the IHOP next to the hotel.  After a quick breakfast we returned to the hotel for the arrival of Mike, Shelly, Tyler and Carter from Sioux Falls.  It was great to see them again and we were thankful that they were able to drive out.  After we got everyone settled we left for the MOA.  We first stopped at the Sea Life Aquarium.  The kids enjoyed the many sea creatures and enjoyed the exhibits where they could touch the animals.  The tunnel through the shark tank was also a big hit.  After the aquarium, we went to lunch at the Twin Cities Grill.  It was nice sit down restaurant.  The kids had Mac n Cheese, but didn't like the recipe.  The real problem was that their clocks were off due to the time change, so we let them get by with a small meal.  Then we stopped off at the Build-A-Bear.  The kids enjoyed the process of making the bears and dogs.  Ryan made a wiener dog named Relish and Sean make a dalmatian named Lucas.  Next we packed away the bears in the locker and went on rides.  First up was the Ferris wheel.  Ryan was a little worried at first but did great.  After that we went on the Diego Bus ride and all kids got on with Dad.  Everyone thought this ride was a little scary but still fun.  Next was Sean's favorite, the Log Ride.  Ryan rode with Tyler and Mike, while Sean rode with Dad.  Ryan was very brave throughout the wait and had a smile at the end.  He did have the same face as he had on the Log Ride at Santa Cruz. This time we bought the photo to keep around for blackmail later.  Dad made the promise that if the kids did a good job not the rides, they could pick any ride for Dad to ride on.  They picked the ???.  It had a straight vertical rise and drop followed by a loop.  It was pretty scary and fun at the same time.  The kids had been asking for the Lego store all day and it was finally time.  The kids picked up a few Mini-figure kits and small sets.  We also got Lego umbrellas in case we run into some rain.  While everyone was at the Lego store, Dad went to the upper levels to get pictures of the giant Lego creations above the store.  There several 10-15 tall scenes and one large 3 story transformer.  Pretty amazing stuff. Next up we went to the Rain Forest Cafe.  We had reservations, which made the line short but the food took a long time to arrive.  After dinner and desert we caught the shuttle back to the hotel.  We were at the mall from when they opened until an hour after they closed.  The kids were pretty tired but still took an hour to fall to sleep.  Should be interesting tomorrow.  The MOA was pretty impressive in size and breadth of stores available.  The amusement park in the middle was very impressive with a lot of rides that the kids could enjoy.  You could definitely spend several days there and still not see all of the stores.  Well worth the visit.    Time to get some rest for the ride to Des Moines tomorrow.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: