Crying, cricket and cake!

Trip Start May 21, 2007
Trip End Aug 08, 2015

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Monday, October 15, 2007

It has been a busy few days!
It all started on Friday when the afterschoolers put on a farewell concert for us.  Even though we aren't leaving for 2 weeks, it was decided to have it then before the team came. We were under house arrest from lunchtime until 4pm and weren't allowed out until we were beckoned! When we were, we were taken to the front of the school where all the children were seated and we presented with a bunch of flowers each. Nayani then said a few words and let us know what was happening - the children where going to show us some of there talents.  It was really good with lots of singing and dancing. I have the say the dancing fishermen were probably my favourite (check out the video!). After the concert,  Nayani got up again, and with Ronali translating, said a little thank you speech and this is when the tears started (and yes we forgot to bring tissues!).  She then said that one of the children was going to say thanks and what our visit meant to him-I think that was the point when everyone was reaching for the tissues! They presented us with a gift which the children had bought money in for and we managed to get a few words of thanks out! As the children were dismissed and we had all just composed ourselves again, the waterworks started again when all the children started crying and telling us not to go home! All this and we were going to see them after the weekend! It was a lovely afternoon, and as expected quite emotional!
It was then into the van for the long drive to Colombo to watch England play Sri Lanka at cricket on Saturday. I knew nothing about cricket and thought I would be bored within the hour. However it was so good! We were there from 2pm until 10pm and the time went so quickly. I can now tell you the principles of cricket, what an over, a wicket, a 4 and a 6 are! Definitely glad I went, although the way England played, it was nothing to be proud of!
It was back down to Hambantota on Sunday afternoon, a little later than expected as the original van broke down so had to get another driver.  We got back around 10pm and it was then time to start making 120 cornflake buns for the children for Mark's birthday! So today the kids were pumped full of sugar because of the buns, birthday cake and a bar of chocolate. I'm sure their parents were very pleased. The teachers planned a surprise for Mark after school, which involved him being covered in flour and water! Mark has also picked up the nickname of "Pumpkin boy" because he loves pumpkin!  So the staff had written on the board "Happy birthday Pumpkin boy" and bought him a pumpkin. I had nothing to do with any of the planning, yet he thinks Rodrick and I were part of the scheme-we were just happy onlookers! Milani, who was the brains behind it, was given her comeuppance when Mark smothered her face in birthday cake!
A good weekend all round I say!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: