Turns out, next week is Father's day....

Trip Start May 21, 2007
Trip End Aug 08, 2015

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Monday, June 11, 2007

The power has just come back on now - it's been off since 830am. What you miss the most is the air conditioning and it pains me having to throw out melted ice cream!! But it's all back on now - well everywhere except the new half of the house where the bedrooms and bathrooms are. but fingers crossed it'll come on soon because I need a shower!
It's been a busy weekend compared to the previous 2! We decided on Friday lunchtime to go to Colombo for the weekend. Well the main reason was because Gordon's hearing aid needed fixed and also his mobile phone needed replaced. It was also an ideal time to go as Rod and Renalli were traveling back so we could go with them. So we set off about 630pm and arrived just after midnight. We decided that instead of staying on Saturday night as well, we would spend the money on getting a car back to Hambantota instead of having to take the public transport. Believe me, if you're looking to increase you're prayer life, jump on a bus in Sri Lanka!
After getting the hearing aid fixed and the mobile phone bought, we headed out to a place called Cinnamon Gardens on the outskirts. We spent about 90mins there - mainly in a Debehams type department store called the "Odel" center. I'm very excited about my one and only purchase - a cd of kid's songs that not only features "hokey pokey" but also "the birdie song"! Not sure of all the actions, but I'll track them down and 80 kids in Sri Lanka will be dancing along to it! Can't wait!
Rod was meant to come and meet us to show us more sights but got stuck in a meeting at work, so we went to a hotel by the sea, and have some food and just relaxed. I have to make at least 1 more trip up to Colombo to extend my Visa so i've enlisted Rod as my tour guide and then we'll see what the big smoke has to offer.
We started the journey back at 8pm last night, so didn't get back til 1230. Because of that's we've had a pretty lazy day. Went to the Peacock Hotel for food. It's right on the coast and has only recently been opened again after being rebuilt as it was nothing but a stack of bricks after the Tsunami. We decided to walk the 10minuute walk to good old "food city" as we have been very lazy. The road we walked across was where the Sunday market used to be and where 7500 people lost their lives when the Tsunami hit. You just can't grasp it as you walk along - to think of the devastation and panic that there once was. I also didn't realize, until Gordon said today, that Hambantota had the 2nd highest loss of life and destruction in Sri Lanka because of the Tsunami. It's things like that that make you realize why some of the kids have behavioural problems - no wonder after what they have seen or the trauma that has been passed down through their parents. It brings it all back home to you.
So that's the weekend over again and we are again without Renalli and Rod, but hopefully they'll be back in a week or two!
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: