Go Canada - Go Kiwi's!

Trip Start Jul 30, 2012
Trip End Aug 06, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
with our friends in Bures Suffock

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Monday, July 30, 2012

We used our Aeroplan points for our flights and flew Air Canada from Ottawa to London England.
When we arrived in London  on July 31 we took the tube from Heathrow to King's Cross to attend a reception at Kiwi House witch was hosted by the NZ high comminsioner for families of the athletes. We were pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to take the tube and it was not crowded at all even at 8 AM on a Tuesday morning.

We bought a weekly pass for the train and made our way again flawlessly with the help of many good-will ambassadors who seemed to be all over the city.

We took the train from Liverpool Street station to Marks Tey and then on to Bures.  We enjoyed the warm hospitality of Cath and John and their daughters Zoe and Evie. They live in a lovely little hamlet about a 2 minute walk to the local train station. How good was that!

On August 1 we travelled by train to Stratford station and the Olympic park. It was so smooth getting into the park and through security. We were very impressed.  We met Anthony's twin sisters Janice and Philippa, his niece Samantha, his nephew David and Steven's girlfriend Sarah.
Samantha had a personal best in her event today and it was a NZ record for the 4 x 200 relay. So great to be able to congratulate her in person.

We had tickets to watch 2 field hockey games. The first was  NZ vs India and NZ won 3-1. It was great to watch Steven play.  The second game  was England vs South Africa and it was a tie 2-2. 
After the game we were able to meet Steven.  How cool to hug 2 olympians the same day.
Made our way by train back to Bures and enjoyed a nice evening with Cath, John and family.

On August 2 we had an early start travelling by train and tube to greenwich where the equestrian events were held. We watched dressage events which were a little hampered by a torrential rain storm in the middle of the day unfortunately when the Canadian was competing.  After the even finished we made our way to London station and walked to Tower Bridge. Unfortynaely the Olympic rings were not down because of strong winds. We walked along the riverbank,  visited Trafalger square and Canada House. 
Took the train back to Bures to Cath and John's.

August 3 was a day in the English country side with Cath. We travelled to Sudbury and Lovenham which were both quaint little English villages. We visited her garden allotment in Bures.

August 4 we were up early and quietly left the house to catch the train at 06:30 and arrived at the Olympic park and met Jance straight away. Anthony's niece Mariane Stacey also jined us for the morning session of the athletics. Good weather today and it was amazing to be inside the stadium, to see the Olympic flame and see Usain Bolt run in the 100 meter heats. After the session we took the tube to Knightsbridge to visit Harrods and then to Hyde Park and Green Park. We said good bye to Janice at the train station and went back to London Bridge to see the Olympic rings lowered. Had dinner at an nice English pub and headed back to Bures on the late train.

August 5 We went to the local Anglican church in Burres for a 9 AM service and then spent the day in Burres walking around this very nice quaint English country hamlet. In the afternoon came the rains - after all this is England.

August 6 We were able to sleep in today - Yeah!  Packed and caught the train to Liverpool Station after saying farewell to Cath, John, Zoe and Evie. We really enjoyed their hospitality and really hope that we can host them in Canada sometime.  We bought a day pass for the tube and went out to the Master Robert hotel and dropped off our luggage and then wedn back in to Piccadilly Circus and walked around the central city.  Had dinner at a the King's Head pub and then went backk to our hotel for an early night. The hotel was on a flight pathe for the runway and so huge jets flew over every minute with landing gear down. It was not a quiet night and not a long sleep.

It has been a very exciting trip to attend the Summer Olympics 2012 and to see so many family members.  Now we are off to Isreal!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: