Camille and Lisa say Hi from Thailand!

Trip Start Nov 27, 2011
Trip End May 28, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Khaosan Palace, Bangkok

Flag of Thailand  , Bangkok,
Monday, November 28, 2011

Welcome to our blog which we will try really hard to keep updated!  Firstly, we will both be writing entries alternately to keep everyone up to date with what's happening on our journey from different perspectives.

Due to the fact that we have one flight into Bangkok and one flight out  6 months later, when checking in at Heathrow with ETIHAD Airways,  we encountered issues.  We needed to show we would be leaving Thailand within 60 days of arrival.  This meant booking a flight, bus or train out of Thailand, there and then.  As you can imagine, this wasnt part of the plan.  Heathrow's internet service wasnt on our side and worked at snail pace so booking a bus or train was proving impossible.  We had to resort to booking a flight with Air Asia from Bangkok to PhnomPhen in Cambodia, for the 11th January - knowing that we weren't getting on that flight. A sweet 75 pound each later, we were finally through to departures.  After  the 6.15hour flight to Abu Dhabi, a 2 hours wait and a 7hour flight to Bangkok, we had finally arrived, to the humid 27degree heat at 8am, wearing hoodies. 
Bangkok is a very busy, fast paced city but nothing in comparison to the famous Khaosan Road, with smells we couldn't possibly describe.  We checked into our hotel and.... slept, for the whole day.  We spent 4 days in total in Bangkok, visiting temples, cruising around in a tuktuk, drinking Chang Beer - which legend has it, could be Thailand's answer to Stella at 6.4%, pure wife beater.  The food stalls have plenty to offer including deep  fried  Locus, Cockroach and Maggots. We opted for the low fat option and ate a few maggots.  Tasty - kinda.  We sunbathed on our roof top pool where we met  Amy and Maria,  two girls traveling for 10 months from the UK. We made plans to meet up at Christmas which will be really nice.  Talking of nice, two things that wern't, were 'Loud Mouth' and 'Jonny'.  We didn't actually speak to these idiots, but they were so loud, we know everything about them.  Loud Mouth was 29 and from delightful Dagenham while Jonny Boy was also 29 and from New Zealand.  To paint a quick picture, Loud Mouth is pretty much what it says on the tin... but add in sun burnt, drunk and a grey tooth.  Jonny was quieter but equally as revolting.  After 4 days with these fools, singing, drinking and swearing around the pool, imagine our delight when we saw them out late one night, Loud Mouth swinging punches at Jonny and Jonny crying and begging for forgiveness. Amazing.  At this point, we decided to leave the hecticness of Bangkok and make our was to the island of Phuket.

The bus journey from Bangkok to Phuket was sold to us as a 12 hour, overnight bus journey. This was in fact true, plus another ten hours. The overnight bus left Bangkok at 7pm.  Due to the driver driving on the rumble strips for the majority of the 12 hours, sleeping wasn't really an option so we arrived exhausted to Surat Thani at 7am. After a quick change over, we were plonked on a bus and told to pay  200 baht (4quid) for a 4 hour bus journey to Phuket.  Little did we know,we  were put on a locals bus, picking up locals every ten minutes (bit like Bedwyn Paddington Slow train) taking 10 hours.  What made it worse, was the bus was a fridge.  Aircon at minus 20.

Phuket is the biggest island in Thailand and in our opinion, the biggest let down.  Making friends was a no go unless you wana chill out with a 5 year old or a 75year old and eating wasn't really an option either at DOUBLE the price of Bangkok so within the hour, we booked our boat to Koh Phi Phi for the very next day.

Phi Phi is a tiny island and complete paradise in comparison.  We spent our days relaxing on white beaches, swimming in clear waters and climbing hills to amazing view points.  On our first night out, we met 4 boys from Manchester, Alex, Jonny (different Jonny thank god) Ian and Ellis.  We spent our first night with them, drinking Chang Beers and watching them slowly intoxicate themselves, resulting in us daring them all to get naked and run into the sea... which was a complete success.  Hilarious.  We then popped to their 5 star resort for a hot shower as unfortunately, our hut didnt have any hot water.  When looking for accommodation on Phi Phi, if you want to save money, you head north to the view point for 5 minutes where the area smells of poo (Koh PooPoo) and the huts are tiny, with cold showers, grotty floors and stained sheets.  Just what the doctor ordered.  We both got ill.  After visiting the Tsumani memorial site, observing the 10 thousand stray cats and kittens on the island and going out  at night enjoying buckets of Gin, we decided to head northeast to Koh Phangan for the famous Full Moon Party that everyone was going to. 

To get to Koh Phangan, we took a 2 hour ferry to Krabi, a 4 hours bus journey to Surat Thani and then a 3 hour boat to Koh Phangan.  Looking forward to catching a few rays before the party, little did we know it was monsoon season for the islands on Thailand's east coast. 

The Full Moon Party was hilarious.  We decided not to get a taxi to the Sunrise Beach where the Full Moon Party was as it was 100 baht (2quid) and 2quid out here is a full on meal so we got on our mo-ped (we hired one) and drove that down there.  The Thai people were advising us against it, i'm assuming they thought we would be drink driving but as we weren't we just did it.  We partied all night, drank copious amounts of Gin and Tonic and swam in the sea.  We met two lovely guys from Cardiff, Chris and Josh.  Josh managed to get lost for about 2 hours but we soon found him.  We ran into travelers we have met on previous islands, a few from Canada, Australia and the UK.  Needless to say, we stayed out and watched the sunrise while dancing.  We left at around 8.30am for a trek home on the ped.  Koh Phangan is a really hilly island so the views first thing in the morning were phenomenal. 

We are having an amazing time so far... everything is going well.  Trying to keep to budget by eating thai food and sleeping in huts with fans instead of aircon.  Will post again soon!  Lots of love.... Camille and Lisa xXx

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: