Another Night in Puerto Jimenez

Trip Start Jun 25, 2010
Trip End Jul 10, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Puntarenas,
Thursday, July 1, 2010

Woke up early anxious to see the wild macaws and possibly the howler monkeys.  Heard them down the street so I took off with the camera to see.  I could see two macaws up in the tree and heard some more further down.  Heard the howler monkeys off in the distance.  Deb was right they do sound like dinosaurs.

Don was up when I got back so we walked down again but the parrots were gone.

We all walked down to a soda for breakfast. Had scrambled eggs, tortillas and chicken and rice.  Left there and went to meet the boat for the tour.  It was raining when we left but cleared by the time the boat left.  It was us five and another couple Ted and Noreen from California. 

It took about 45 minutes to cross the Golfo Dulce to the mainland and the sanctuary.  We were greeted by Earl, an American, who owns the sanctuary.  We were also met by Hannah, a worker who had a baby orphaned howler monkey wrapped around her head and was holding a spider monkey named Sweetie.
He told us about the sanctuary and the history of the property.  He told us 30 years ago the owner cleared the land for planting and the workers ate all the monkeys and macaws and that the area had never recovered.  That's pretty gross.

He took us in to see the animals and showed us monkeys, parrots, a weasel, a pig like animal, a mom and baby sloth and some liki animal. 

Lulu a howler monkey showed up while we there.  She had been hurt 2 years ago and had to have pins in her rear leg.  The surgery made her rear leg turn backwards.  They released her last year and she joined some other monkeys and had a baby.  She came back three days ago.  She wanted to be held by Ted and Earl had a hard time getting her out of his arms.  Found out later she had a bloated stomach and just wanted to be held.  They were treating her when we left.

We left there after about 2 hours and headed out on the boat to swim with the dolphins.  We spotted a few so we headed that way and was soon in the middle of 100 dolphins.  They were everywhere, all around the boat, under it and young males were leaping out of the water.  It was incredible.

Ted and Robby went in to plane board.  It is a piece of wood shaped like a rounded triangle.  The rope attaches to the point while there are two handles cut out along the bottom.  The swimmer holds on while the boat pulls them.  If you keep the board straight, you skim across the top, if you point it down you dive and point it up you come back to the top, 

Ted and Robby went in for about 20 minutes. When they came in they said it was awesome.  They were in about 200 feet of water and said the dolphins swam below them on their side so they could look up at them. They could also hear them.  Courtney and Robby went back in for another 20 minutes.  Robby let go and we had to circle to get him..  We asked him what happened and he said he was about to lose his swim trunks.  The boat had gone so fast that he had to cross his legs to keep them on.  He finally had to let go to tie the string tighter.  He is hilarious.  Courtney's top came down also.  It was a great morning and a highly recommended tour.

We walked back to the cabina and along the way saw two macaws, I think they were the same ones from the morning.  Don got more pictures.

By the time we got back the rain was moving in so we had to cancel Corcavado Park.  The guys took off on bicycles and us three girls went to lunch at The Palms.  Sara was relieved to see they had "normal" food.  She had teryaki chicken.

Sara and I headed back to set up our computers in the ranchero, relieved to have some quiet time.   Courtney got in the hammock to read a book.  Soon the mosquitoes and rain drove us to the lobby.

Robby came back and had a woman come out to give pedicures.  Robby, Sara and Courtney all had one.

Don had disappeared and was soon discovered asleep in the hammock in the ranchero.  I guess the mosquitoes didn't bother him.

Sara and Courtney were sent to the mercado (market) to get snacks and drinks for the trip to Panama but instead went to eat pizza and only returned with beer for Robby and Don.

Went to bed at 11:00 and left Sara trying to purchase airline tickets to North Carolina.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Yvonne on

Loved all the pics and hearing about your adventures. One thing I want to know.....Karen, Did you get a manicure and pedicure? So glad you're having a good time. Find a home there yet? Thinking of you all, Yvonne

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: