Jungle trek through Cameron Highlands

Trip Start Jun 20, 2007
Trip End Aug 29, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Wednesday, August 1, 2007

We woke up early this morning to start our half-day tour.  We had no idea what we were in for.  We thought that it would be a bus expedition.  It was not.  It was a four hour hike straight up into the jungle.  I was not mentally or physically prepared for that at all.  But, all in all, I guess we did pretty well.

We started at an orang asli village.  THis one was not as nice and interesting as the one in Tamen Negara.  Here everyone was wearing western clothes and they even had a TV.  It was just really sad to see because they weren't living their traditional life, they were just poor. 

After that we hiked for what felt like forever until we got to these waterfalls.  Along the way, we saw some interesting stuff like a snake that jumps from trees, flowers that smell like curry, the roots used for root beet and a flower that is used as a numbing agent.  That stuff was pretty cool.

The waterfall was hard to get to (I slipped and fell and scratched my arm a little) but it was beautiful.  The water was really cold but felt very refreshing.  I kind of wish the day had ended there.  Instead, we hiked for another 20 minutes up this mossy jungle area.  It was so slippery and scary.  I really relied on Dan to help me because I was so nervous.  I just took it really slow and it was mostly OK. 

We were hiking to reach the Rafaelia flower.  this flower is the largest in the world and only blooms for around one week before it dies forever.  I admit that the flower was really cool.  I don't know that it was worth the hike though.  Either way, the flower was huge and impressive.  It was almost big enough for a human head to fit inside its center.

After checking out and taking pictures of the flower we went back the way we came.  All in all, it was around a four hour hike.  If you know me at all, you know that is at the outer limits of my hiking abilities.

The tour bus was nice enough to drop our bags off in the morning at the butterfly farm so at the end of the day he dropped us off there.  We cleaned ourselves off because we were caked in mud and dried blood.  Then we went down the street to the strawberry farm to pick our own strawberries!  That was really fun.

You pay a minimum deposit for a 1/2 kg. of berries.  They give you a tray and then you go fill it.  The berries are all lined up in rows on platforms so that they are at chest-level.  That way you don't have to bend down to get them.  We found some great berries!  I really enjoyed that.  It was especially great to have fresh berries and cream afterwards.

Sadly, when we were done with the berries it was time for us to leave Cameron Highlands.  The bus to Penang picked us up from the field and took us on our way.  It picked us up at 6:00 p.m. and we got into Penang at around 11:30.  We had already called ahead to book a room so we took a taxi straight there.

I can't really describe how tiny this room was.  It was literally a box with a wooden platform and pillows.  It had a fan too.  There was barely enough room to put our bags in there and there wasn't enough room to get changed.  But, luckily, I slept pretty well.  My cough is thankfully getting a little better each day.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: