Up a Mountain and Down Again

Trip Start May 08, 2002
Trip End Jun 02, 2002

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Switzerland  ,
Sunday, May 19, 2002

I woke up at 8:00 and still managed to beat everyone to the showers. I took the shower in 1 Swiss franc, and am very proud of myself.

Yesterday was clear, sunny, wonderful weather, but today was overcast and gloomy. The bright spot was that we were so high up we were almost in the clouds. After breakfast, John and I decided to take the air gondola up to the Schilthorn (please see previous entry). After the Schilthorn, we took the gondola down to Mürren, which is the village just up the mountain from Gimmelwald. Mürren is a popular ski resort in the wintertime, so it has restaurants, hotels, a grocery store, and a bank. John and I ate lunch in Mürren then walked down to Gimmelwald. It is normally a 30-minute walk, but John had purchased a wildflower book so we spent time finding wildflowers. It took us about one hour to walk down from Mürren to Gimmelwald. The walk was worth it. The meadows full of wildflowers stretch on and on - perfectly untouched. Beautiful!

We stopped by one of the B&Bs in Gimmelwald to purchase some homemade yogurt. It tastes like nothing available in the USA - chalky and a little sweet and completely drinkable. The yogurt is made fresh with local, organic materials. We also bought some homemade beef jerky, honey made from meadow wildflowers, honey made from forest flowers, and some wildflower tea (John).

It started to rain about 16:00, so most of the hostellers chose to stay at the hostel for the evening. The place was hopping. John and I played pool at the free pool table then got into a game of Mastermind. Lots of the other hostellers were also playing games or cooking dinner. At about 19:30, we heard the "Dong, dong, dong" of cowbells. In through the front door of the hostel walked four Swiss guys, ringing the bells. They proceeded to enjoy beer with Walter after the bell-ringing. Then the yodeling started. When the guys left later that evening (after midnight), we could still hear them yodeling (all the way home?).
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: