XX- San Miguelito and its high altitude...........
Trip Start Dec 04, 2012
88Trip End Dec 31, 2014
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
The high altitude of San Miguel has certain effects
1. The stars (and in particular Venus) and the moon are much brighter here in San Miguel than they are in Ottawa - lack of pollution and the dry desert air might be other factors - moist air absorbs some of the light rays coming through the atmosphere..
2. It cools off a lot at nite time - it can and often does go down to +5 Celsius at nite (by 6:00am in the morning) and it be in the 30+ Celsius range during the day - the cool nites cool off the residences that can get quite hot during the day...
- fireworks going off at 5:00am in the morning sounded like they were going off just outside my place - I got up and look out the window to see what was going on - I could see that the fireworks were going off in the San Juan de Dios Mercado, at least 6 or 7 blocks away...
Note: the San Juan de Dios Mercado is a Mexican market place of many small shop that is 4 or 5 square blocks in size - I really like the location of my place in San Miguel - it is very close to a lot of things that I am interested in...
Trains going by sound like they are only a block or two away.. The train tracks are at least 3 kilometers away - Guatamalans get a free train ride by riding on top of the train box cars - it is illegal of course - it is the Guatamalans going through Mexico from Guatamalans to the United States to be illegible immigrants in the good old USA... It is rumoured that the Guatamalans come into town, on their through San Miguel to rob stuff so that they can eat. There are no passenger trains in Mexico, only freight trains.. I see Canadian box cars on the freight trains (CP and CN).
Mexico does have at least 10 different bus companies and inter-city bus service is really great.
4. Because of the lower air pressure at this altitude, carbonated drinks foam much more when they are being pored into a glass than they do at the lower altitudes and higher air pressure of Ottawa, Canada (most Americans have never heard of Ottawa and have absolutely no idea where it is)..
5. Cooking stuff in boiling water or steam cooking things takes longer in the higher altitude of San Miguel because at the higher altitude and lower air pressure, water boils at a much lower temperature...
6. Because of the dry desert air, it is much more comfortable in San Miguel, I never sweat in San Miguel - but my skin is constantly shedding dry flakes of skin like dandruff,
because my skin is so dry all of the time..
7. The composition of people's blood changes to cope with the thinner air at higher altitudes,
by having a lot more white corpbuscles to carry oxigen through out the body - that is a good thing... ..
8. Living at a higher altitude apparently extends a person's life so that they live longer.
Previously, in a previous travelblog, I have mentioned that at a free lunch for the old, elderly poor, that there is 4 or 5 tables filled with people (all women) that are 95+ in age..
Viva La MexicoAdios Mis Compadres, Mis Amigos y Compaņeros.Senor Mexico Dave