I love Berlin
Trip Start Jun 27, 2009
40Trip End Aug 30, 2009
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
1. European cheese smells awful. I got some Havarti, and it smells like feet (for my friends at Keystone, it smells like BHI agar(.
2. Public transit is great. I've always thought that, but the train and metro system in Europe is superior. It's amazing to me that in Canada we're retiring trains and putting them in museums, while here the rail system is being expanded every year. Berlin is home to 3.4 million people, but you can't tell how large the city is because you can hop on public transit and go wherever you want quickly and easily.
3. European pigeons are much much smarter than Canadian pigeons
4. I can order a beer in German. That's the only German sentence I can say.
5. European candy is so good.
I've spent the last few days wandering around Berlin. I saw a lot of stuff including the location of Hitler's bunker, where he commited suicide and the hotel where Michael Jackson held that child out of window. Of course I saw the regular sites as well, including the wall and the zoo. There isn't much of the wall left, the longest section is only 1.3 km. Originally it was about 160 km long. It's really cool though, they're having the original graffiti artists come and re-paint the East Side Gallery (which is the long stretch of the wall). After, a protective coating will be put on the wall to preserve it and its art. Another noteworthy thing that I saw was the Holocaust Memorial. Its a bunch of really tall blocks that are made of really smooth concrete. They have a graffiti-resistant coating on them to protect them from vandalism. When you walk up to the monument, there's no sign, so you walk into it, trying to find some sort of plaque. The blocks get really tall all around you and you sort of get lost. It's a really strong metaphor for what the confusion and peril that Jewish people experienced. I really liked it. There are so many cool bars here, and so much history, I could definitely stay longer, but I must continue on.
My favorite thing about Berlin is Ampleman