Monday in Berlin

Trip Start Jul 16, 2013
Trip End Oct 07, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Germany  , Berlin,
Monday, July 29, 2013

Not much going on today though just wandering around is pretty pleasant.

I was rather surprised to come across the rather large Church of Scientology headquarters. I thought they'd been banned as a cult. I think they were having free readings but I didn't want to risk it.

As with most real cities there's a huge park right in the middle. Looks more like a forest though compared with Central Park. I didn't stray much off the beaten track so I'm not sure what it's like further in.

This is the victory column. Apparently there was a move after the war by some of the occupying forces to have it taken down. In a way it's even meaner to leave it up after a defeat...

Various statues. This is to some bloke called Roon. Another general. No doubt he led Germany or Prussia to a few victories and apparently he modernised the army.

I think this is Bismarck. He's certainly got the distinctive Pickelhube.

I was thoughtless enough to forget that I'd probably want to know the names of these blokes for my blog.

I think though that this is Moltke. A Prussian general famous for victories over the Danes, the Austrians and the French.

A pretty impressive castle. One forgets that Germany too had it's fair share of opulence. Or one associates it more with the countryside in Bavaria.

I thought it was Charlottenburg but the pictures on the net look much more impressive. Perhaps this is Charlottenburg but some lesser building out the back.

And I think this is the Reichstag. With a bit of a modern extension.

For tea I tried the Kartoffelhaus - Potato House. All the dishes feature spuds.

I was rather disappointed with this offering. A bit dry. They often fry speck with their spuds and I really think you need some pickled cucumbers or something with it. The speck's always fried till its almost burnt and that makes it even saltier. It probably would have helped if the eggs had been more on the runny side.

And as usual in Germany, no salad no nothing.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Anthony Havens on

Interesting reality programme on BBC2 last night - "Make me a German". Young English couple (BBC reporters) and their 2 kids go to Nuremberg to live and work as "typical Germans" - don't know how long it was for - probably not more than a month. A lot of interesting facts - and differences - with life were revealed, for example employees are not allowed to use internet FB, etc, at work, which of course is as it should be but just try making such rules in Britain or Australia. Rents are much lower (E135 per week0 in a good central city area - kindergarten only E25 a week, very cheap. Women stay at home more (she didn't like that complaining "I think women should be functioning members of society" - yeah right..!) Germans fold their loo paper (so do I) - Brits apparently scrunch it up..! I think women do the latter, I notice they go thru the stuff much quicker but never had the courage to ask why. In German boardrooms "only 2%" are women - 14% in UK. Re-cycling is 50% (25%). Germans save 10% of their income (1% UK..!). What you would have hated though is that neither of them seemed to know even a single word of German. When they invited a group of Krauts to dinner they greeted them only in English..! Not even a "Guten Tag..!". It seems to be only a one-off, but their really needs to be more programs like this, the Brits have no idea about Germany except "don't mention ze vor..!".

Anthony Havens on

You'd probably like to read a proper review.

budz888 on

Read the review. Not as good as yours. I thought the Guardian was a respected newspaper - the review made me cringe.

Anthony Havens on

It seems they only stayed a week which is ridiculous. I read a few other reviews and most of them rubbished it, but I found it interesting simply because anything on Germany - 99% of which is "ze vor" and the other 1% tourist related - is worth having simply because it is so rare.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: