Last Full Day in Iceland

Trip Start Jul 16, 2013
Trip End Oct 07, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Iceland  , Capital Region,
Thursday, July 25, 2013

My last full day in Reykjavik.

Woken up by music again but this was a different friend of my hostess visiting!

First back up to the church. There was an organ convert at midday. I was a bit dismayed to find that there was also a soprano singing but there was also some solo organ. All in all the music sounded a bit too innovative for me. I was really only there to be impressed by the sound. Embarrassingly I sauntered in with my cap still on...

All organised sight-seeing was out of the way. But there wasn't much going on at the congress (as usual) so I decided to walk out to the open air architecture museum about seven kilometres outside of town.

It should have been easy to find but in the sixties they decided here that the car is king. They dreamt of a future like something out of a science fiction novel. Everyone would be magically transported from place to place and so no need for footpaths.

I could see the highway going where I wanted but there was no way you could walk anywhere near it.

I'd all but given up on getting across the ravine that separated me from where I had to get to when I heard some voices down below.

Once I slid down the embankment I discovered there was a bit of a stream and heaps of people paddling around in it. And off to one side a path leading in the direction I wanted to go. So off I went.

It was strangely rural so it was pretty good planning after all as I was spared any contact with cars.

And eventually I reached my destination.

A quite nice set up. A couple of the buildings were original but many of the others were relocated from other parts of Iceland.

Somehow reminiscent of some kitchens in Tasmania.

I suspect I've seen something like this in Tasmania too. It's doesn't so much represent a place but an era.

I almost had a chat with this bloke. Couldn't work out why he kept ignoring me - thought he must have been busy.

This reminded me of home as we had something very similar in our living room for years and years. (The sewing machine, not the sheep...)

A couple of sheep with the fur and meat still on their heads. No where near as appetising.

A whole room full of home-steaders. Perhaps they normally wander around outside but were on a break.

A nice touch to have this young bird sitting here in the appropriate garb. Luckily I didn't get confused and think she was fake like in the garage...

Grass on the roof! It looks great. I wonder whether it needs watering...? Or mowing perhaps...?

A nice touch is the school building with the old-fashioned toys.

Even outside there's a wooden horse and an old tricycle. Really well thought-out. I like the way they've provided something for children but avoided any modern gaudiness.

One could wander around inside just about all of the buildings. It was particularly interesting to read about the modern plans they had for Reykjavik in the '60's. Some had to be stopped with protests. A similar situation I think to Hobart but I think it took longer in Hobart before the protest movement got going,

On the way back I stopped in at one of the huge department buildings that one sees by the highway. How boring and what a disaster. I suspect they had grand plans but they've fallen through - perhaps a victim of the banking crash that they had here a few years ago.

Top floor furniture and the like but pretty well deserted, and in general not very impressive, bottom floor nothing but sporting clothes - track suits, running tops, t-shirts etc. so also extremely boring. And the floor in the middle was just a big supermarket. I couldn't even find any sheeps' heads, but perhaps I was looking in the wrong section.

They must do all their shopping online...

Then back into town to meet up with the Germans again. This time I made use of the nice bus system.

A pretty nice statue and building in the centre of town but I never went close enough to find out what it was. I wouldn't have heard of the bloke anyway I suppose - presumably neither Eric the Red nor a chess champion.

The actual congress centre. I bet this came in for some criticism when it was built. It looks pretty ordinary during the day but there's something interesting going on at night with lights and strange reflections.

Each of the panes seems to be a cuboid and to some extent see-through but the effect during the day from a distance is pretty ordinary.

While searching for the Germans in the congress centre I bumped into Vladimir from Bulgaria - a former MIG pilot in the Bulgarian airforce who'd actually visited me in Tasmania.

The Germans wanted a group photo for their collection so I got one with me too.

Except there wasn't one with all of us, hence I've put up two photos. They must have the one of all of us.

I'd spotted a restaurant with puffin on the menu.


That was a must so off we went but as always seems to be the case with puffin they were only tapas sizes. So to pad it out I also ordered some foal.

The foal was pretty good but the puffin was smoked or something. It reminded me of some Chinese dish but I can't remember which. Who knows... possibly puffin... or chicken?

Those of us who hadn't eaten all day still had room for more. And I still wanted to have some more whale - this time rare. It was about the same as last time but the sauce is pretty strong so that's where most of the flavour came from.

It did blow my food budget for the week just about, but I'm leaving tomorrow and will probably get free food in the airport lounge. Mind you, whale on the menu is actually cheaper than beef!

More beers in our local...

till kick out time when we continued drinking outside. Just like Esperanto outside Coles on Thursdays.

Of course I still had one last go at chips. This time I didn't quite have enough change but the woman running the stall knew me by now so she let me off the extra few coins.

Half way home some woman came towards me - two in the morning mind you - normally not that alarming but there were two blokes somewhere behind her... that made me a bit wary. Anyway they had nothing to do with her and all she did was reach into my bag of chips and help herself to a few. They must have been pretty good because then she reached in again and left with a handful.

She was definitely worth a photo but I didn't think I should flash my iPhone at two in the morning. I must get myself an android for my other pocket for just such occasions.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Phil Jones on

With an Android, you could treat the iPhone as the extra one!

budz888 on

It was inevitable that someone would comment... I was curious how witty the comment would be.

I must say... not bad.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: