Apples are the most dangerous objects around

Trip Start Jul 29, 2005
Trip End Aug 15, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Belize  ,
Sunday, July 31, 2005

I woke up late so I ended up waiting for two hours at the bus station. I knew it too. Had I gone on time, I could've taken the early bus. But oh well. I enjoyed that extra bit of sleep.

I was surprised with the state of the bus to Belize. I thought it was going to be a coach bus like the one down to Chetumal, and it'd be luxurious, but really, it was an school bus. No A/C, just open up your window. Most people around were locals making the journey, but I saw a British couple going onward as well.

We arrived at the border control and I used the restroom, which also meant that I got in line behind a few others and wasn't exactly with the pack I should've been. But in the end, I was able to get through control with ease. But the British couple in front of me still had some fruit, so they took him to a side room to go through his bags. He ended up eating one of his apples very quickly and threw out the rest. Because you know, apples are the most dangerous thing to bring across the border. With all the possible pests that could be hiding inside. So because of that little issue, I was able to catch up to the bus just as it was starting to head off. I seriously wonder if they count heads or anything, because I could've as easily been left behind. Then we also did immigration forms and had to pay the impuestos and we headed on our way. It was confusing because foreigners have to ask for a different form and have to go to a specific office to pay, but no one lets you know. But the Birtish couple and I got together and figured everything out so that we could pass the border.

At Corozal, we picked up quite a few extra passengers. I enjoyed my own seat beforehand, but now I had a fat sweaty man sitting beside me. Of course, I opened up my window. And because I didn't want any peripheral sweat to fall upon me, I sat at an awkward angle. And that made my back hurt for the rest of the trip. Eventually we arrived at Belize. Although, I didn't know it was Belize City at first. I thought it was something else. But everyone got off so the British couple and I all departed, since the bus wasn't going anywhere. The bus station just looked so unidentified. And Belize City itself wasn't spectacular at all. It had the makings of a reasonable city, but not a metropolis. I saw a McDs and some large markets, but the peripheral areas looked rural actually.

Anyway, I quickly looked at bus information to make sure I was in Belize City in the first place, and everyone was trying to sell something once we got off. I missed the British couple but I found my own taxi man. He was cool. He was so laid back. We headed off to the pier and he had his reggae music. I thought, nice, these people in Belize know how to live life. No worries. The guy let me out at the marina and I went straight to the ticket office. I didn't have Belize dollars but he accepted American dollars since the exchange rate is fixed at 2 BZE to 1 USD. I almost didn't even have enough cash on hand to pay, but I made it. Eventually I saw the British couple again. Heh. The place was crowded, but I had tickets for the next boat. It was hot there, but I was finally heading to an island. How great was that. I decided to not stay in Belize City but to head to one of the Cayes. There's Caye Caulker and Caye Ambergis. I wanted an island. I wanted to relax after Chetumal. Using the guidebook, I decided on Caye Caulker because it was touted as more backpacker. That was key.

There was a whole group of kids, I think a Christian Chorus group that were trying to get on the boat as well. They would've taken up the entire boat, so they had to wait for the next one. Ha. I made sure to get an early spot in the queue so that I could get on. There was no way, I was waiting for the next. The boat ride over was neat. I was in the shade below and I got to watch little kids talk about how we're getting there soon and playing around below.

After a half hour, we arrived. I hoped it was Caye Caulker, because I was getting off no matter what. And there were no other boats coming by Caye Caulker for the rest of the day, so I HAD to find a place to stay.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: