The 2nd half

Trip Start Feb 25, 2006
Trip End Mar 04, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Bulgaria  ,
Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Another morning, another hangover. Me, K and C forced ourselves out of bed for breakfast and hit the slopes about 11. B decided he needed more sleep and was to meet us later on. The decision was made for another day on the gondola as the air was clear and we expected the view to be good to. This plan was only slightly thwarted when we found that, due to high winds, you could only get half way on the gondola. A quick glance on the maps revealed that all was not lost and a cheeky red was to be found fairly close by. The only problem was the ridiculously steep chute ahead of us that lead us to the piste. Thankfully we all managed to negotiate this with little or no difficulty using the very advanced method known as "close your eyes and pray". The red slope was absolutely superb, very steep, very quick and the most challenging to date, so good in fact that we got to the bottom and headed straight back up for another go. Now this is where I ask you to use your imagination a bit. Me and Kit are stopped on a pathway, right on the edge of the piste, it's about 4 people wide, me and K stood next to each other leaving space for 2 people to get by. As we're stood there 2 Bulgarian guys come flying past, straight onto the piste, going so fast that take each other out, ending in a pile of skis and limbs in the middle of the slope. Me and Kit found this so funny that we had to stop going down the slope after 4 turns as we were laughing so much we couldn't ski properly. The rest of the run was incident free, bar the usual snowboard carnage. As so to lunch, which was taken at Crystal Bar at the bottom of a black run and consisted of the fattest steak sarny (me and C) and the most ridiculous burger (K) you could ask for. Suffice to say that after we washed it down with a beer we weren't exactly feeling svelte for the afternoons skiing. The afternoon's skiing consisted of a very average green run that was recommended by B who, with the help of his best mate Gav(iscom), was now back with us. The run was extremely hard work, primarily because it was uphill for large parts - call me cynical but that doesn't make a great ski run in my book, oh well, at least our arms got a work out!.

Tea, consisting again of a whole lot of meat, was followed by a session concentrated on the England game, which was watched at Buzz Bar after we found Intro was only showing the Wales game, thankfully Buzz had 2-4-1 beer as well. Black Tiger was also visited, as was Franko's (I think). Me, C and Pete headed home about 2:30 after another kebab, while B and K sampled the local delights of the Pigalle Gentlemen's Club and returned about 4 raving about the quality of the women there. Not bad at all for 10 Lv per dance, about 3.50. Bargain.

After the relative quietness of last night we all emerged feeling relatively sharp and looking forward to a good day on the slopes. Once again the gondola was the first port of call, this time all the way to the top. We immediately hit the red slopes, going from top to bottom, linking with the slope from yesterday about half way down. The run was done (I think) twice without much incident, and won the prize for "Stevo's favourite run of the holiday". Braddas was a bit scared, arguing that the run was a bit above him, but got down unscathed and I think he even enjoyed it. All I will draw attention to was the very amusing incident where (and I ask you to use your imagination again here) B is heading down the slope towards me, C and K. Comments where being made about how B's technique was looking quite good and how much he had improved... commentators curse. The chain of events was: "nice snowplough", "nice almost parallel turn", "nice face plant". We had a chuckle. The afternoon was spent on the chair lifts again, with us attempting our first Black run (no problems) and C and K attempting their first jump. Billy claimed that he managed to get in a "heel clicker McTwist", everyone else thinks he just did well not to break a leg on landing. The skiing finished and headed back up the slopes for the tobogganing that we had booked. Now it did look a bit lame initially, but as with all things, throw in a bit of competition and it all gets a little more interesting. The form suggested a win for the Room 310 massive (me and K), however, due to technical issues on my sled (you like the excuses?!?!?) the race was won for 312 by B and C. Sorry Kit. There was however 1 more competition left, and I need all your help here. One of the pictures features the 4 of us with some very naughty headgear going on. What I ask is for you to post comments on the order of naughtiness for the hats. There is a lot riding on this so I ask you all to take your judging very seriously. Thanks.

After all that excitement we headed home for a snooze, some meat and to get ready for another session. Once again, we met up with Chris and Pete and took on the usual haunts - Intro, Rila, Franko's, 101 Cocktail and, of course, Buzz bar. We had a very enjoyable snowball fight outside Franko's, ambushing Billy an absolute treat and generally pratting about in the snow. It was one of those nights where everyone seemed to be bladdered and so the carnage flowed. B was once again on a community service mission, helping make a fat girls night, and probably holiday. I was an absolute drunken disgrace, dancing, being unable to stand up and generally misbehaving, all while K and C took advantage of the 2-4-1 beers again. B and K finished the night in Charlie Weed's lap-dancing club, so called because when ever we went passed the club he would always first ask "are you feeling erotic?" then ask "you want Charlie Weed?". No, but thanks for the offer.

After the excitement (read: beer) of last night we all decided to take it fairly easy this morning, not getting to the slopes until about 11. As it was our last day on the slopes we decided to hit the runs we most enjoyed for 1 last go. We started off with a cheeky red off the gondola, before heading over to Crystal bar for a steak sarny and to meet up with Pete and Chris. After lunch we headed up the second chair lift for a casual red, then spent the rest of the afternoon on the first chairlift going over old ground and getting a few more black runs in. I even had a go back on the green slopes that we had done on the first day just to see how far we had progressed, the answer, lots, we were getting well good!. One thing I haven't mentioned on here yet and I will now, is our general dislike of snowboarder. This has been developed over the course of the week and I will justify it now. Firstly they seem unable to stand up on there feet for more than 30 seconds before they stack and normally take out some unsuspecting skier. Secondly they are unable to get off chair lifts without having a crash. This was backed up by Kiwi Chris, who was a very good snowboarder, arguably the best we had seen on the trip, taking out Pete getting off the lift and leaving the 2 of them in a heap on the floor. Thirdly, they seem to move all the powder around the slopes leaving either a huge chunk of sheet ice where they scraped all the snow away, or a mound of snow where they stopped scraping and fell over. Fourthly, they seem to think they are a whole lot better than they are, trying off-piste slopes when they should really be on a green run. I suppose, if nothing else, they do provide comedy value as you watch them all falling arse over tit every minute or 2.

The final, emotional session started, as always, with meat from the buffet and Warren G and Nickelback from the iPod to get our game heads on. We hit the usual haunts, Intro, 101 Cocktail, Buzz Bar but the week had finally caught up with us and we were not out our most lively. Maybe spending 6 nights solidly on the lash wasn't such a smart idea!. Bed was hit at a remarkably civilised hour of 2:30am, with the thought of our first lie-in ahead of us.

Check out wasn't until 12 so the day began slowly. I managed to get some breakfast, but then went straight back to sleep, not moving again until 11 so I could pack and get ready to leave. We waited around for a couple of hours, and then boarded the coach to Sofia for our trip there. Sofia was an interesting place, very Eastern Bloc and had a very communist feel to it. We looked at a couple of buildings, had some pizza and generally bummed around for a few hours. The highlight was that Bradley managed to blag us entry into a football game, oh yes, the man managed to talk (well possibly, the guy on the gate didn't speak English, B doesn't speak Bulgarian) our way into the big match live of Levski Sofia V's Locomotiv Plovdiv. We stayed for about 15 minutes, saw 2 goals and left at half time fearing that if we didn't we could well get involved in some Eastern European football violence. Lets just say that atmosphere was tense. I have to say that I wasn't the biggest fan of Sofia, I just felt a little uneasy in the city, though I do accept this may be because I am a big girl. We arrived at the airport about 8, expecting a casual 2 hour wait, just enough time to get some duty free and have a beer. It didn't quite work out like that as the place was delayed by about 3 hours, so was had about 5 beers and for a few moments thought we may be spending the night at the airport. The flight passed quickly as we all spent the majority of the time asleep, waking only for dinner. Arrived at Manchester about 3am and were greeted by a very tired Mom who only survived by drinking vast amounts of coffee - thanks Mom!. And so the holiday finished as it had began, on the M6, cramped in a car.

To finish all this I would like to say that it was on of the best weeks I have ever had, we drank to much and slept to little, but had the best of times. I will forever associate Warren G, Nickelback, Wheezer and Haddaway with the trip, and never again will I be able to see a snowplough and not laugh. Anyway, back to work now, same time next year folks? I know I'll be there. Over and out. Stevo.

P.S. If anyone, and i guess i am talking to Bradda's, Billy and Kit here, thinks i have missed anything out let me know and i'll add them on.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


adsrobjim on

Where is Billys hair...
Top effort bro, looks like all sorts of fun!!! Deffo in for next year. I personally think kit looks the naughtiest,... is that jacket from an army and navy store!?? Whats happened to bills hair?? Where are the spikes??

adsrobjim on

Top Effort Boys
hayesy here from kathmandu (just to inform you boys of the delights of kathmandu - as i wrote those first few words a giant bloody rat ran across my feet in the internet cafe- ace!!)

just read the travelougue as it sounds ace boys - im also deffo in for next year!! im just not sure sure the steak sarnies and beer are my kind of thing anymore after all this delightful foreign food (the main dish here in nepal being dal baht - a tasty combination of rice and lentils - place any orders quickly as i leave tomorrow for delhi!!

get your beer hats on boys as im back soon on april 4th and im up for a 'bulgarianesque session'



Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: