Back to Mirissa - a birthday to remember!

Trip Start Nov 05, 2013
Trip End May 12, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  , Southern Province,
Sunday, May 4, 2014

The plan was to make our way over to the East of the country to avoid the monsoon which was due in the West and South. It was going to take at least 5 hours to get there though so we decided to make our way back to Mirissa and spend our last week there as we loved it so much. We even checked into the same guest house as the family was really lovely and rooms were nice.

Within about an hour of arriving I had seen a huge snake in the guest house garden. Luke had popped to the shops and I was sitting outside the room and saw something moving from the corner of my eye. It was huge, at least 2 metres! I plucked up the courage to get close to it and take a video. The guest house owner came out and told me not to worry as it wasn't harmful. However about ten minutes later I saw him running away from it. At this point I locked myself in the room until Luke came back.

The next day was my 30th birthday and we'd arranged a cooking course at the Dewmini Roti shop in the afternoon. Unfortunately the heavens opened practically all day but we did manage a few cocktails and beers on the beach before the cooking.

The cooking course was so much fun and we cooked some lovely curries, 5 veg ones and a prawn curry too. After an hour or so into the course we found out it was also Gayani's birthday, the lady who owns the restaurant and who was teaching us. Gayani was such a lovely lady and we all got talking about her family and our life back home during the course. She explained which spices and ingredients go into each different curry and told us how to prepare the ingredients. We did most of the cooking ourselves but with her watchful eye over us which was needed a few times when we let stuff boil over! At the end of the 4 hours we had cooked up a potato sambol curry, egg plant curry, a pineapple chutney (my favourite), a Dahl, green bean curry and a spicy prawn curry. We also cooked our rice which was prepared with cinnamon and a type of green leaf to give it extra flavour. I also had a go at making my own roti which was actually a lot harder than it looks but the end result wasn't too bad. Pleased with all our dishes we sat down in the family garden and tucked in.

Gayani had said that she didn't have any plans for her birthday but whilst we were eating our curries her friends and family started turning up and a surprise party had been arranged for her. The next thing we know we are joining in with Sri Lankan singing and dancing, there's fireworks going off and everyone is singing happy birthday to Gayani and me with a big chocolate cake, even candles! There were about 20 people there all taking turns to make a little speech and sing a song! After singing happy birthday twice one of the men announced that it was also his birthday so we all sang again! It was such a nice way to end the day and a really different way to spend my birthday!

The rest of the week was mostly spent lounging by the pool when we could as there was quite a lot of rain everyday. The weather would change so quickly, one minute we'd be laying there under clear blue sky and the next we were dashing for cover or running back to the guest house threw puddles.

We of course made the most of the delicious roti shops in the town. I had a banana roti most days for breakfast and we both had a few different spicy ones for lunch most days. I must say we are both coming home with a little roti belly! Its really been a perfect relaxing week to finish off our travels.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: