Bentota - trapped in the bakery

Trip Start Nov 05, 2013
Trip End May 12, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  , Phnom Penh,
Sunday, April 20, 2014

The train ride from Mount Lavinia to Bentota was interesting and fun. It was packed full of locals and we only just managed to squeeze ourselves and our bags on and stood in the entrance way, it was only an hour journey so this was fine and we got talking to some of the locals. Luke went most of the way with his head hanging out the door soaking up the sites. It felt very similar to the trains in India although we were told it was particularly busy today because it was a public holiday. Once we got to Bentota we walked around to find a room and ended up finding a really nice one with our own balcony, a simple room but in comparison to the last one it felt like a palace.

We took a walk into the main town which was bustling with locals buying their shopping. We had to buy a few things, especially sunglasses as we'd both left ours at the hostel in Singapore and had been walking around squinting for the last couple of days.

We spent the next few days in Bentota lounging about on the long golden sand beach which was fairly quiet. Most of the people staying in the town were on package holidays so we think they must have been spending their days by the pool. Luke had a surfing lesson and went out on his own the next day. I went for a walk along the entire stretch of the beach one day, it must have been about 3 or 4 miles long, not sure why I decided to do this in the hottest part of the day but it was still a nice walk.

We also went to a small turtle sanctuary along the beach which was great. There were about 4 adult turtles there which were absolutely huge and hundreds of baby turtles, some only a few days old. The turtles come and lay their eggs on the beach and once they hatch the babies are looked after here and then shortly released back into the sea. We even got to hold them, Luke held the big one, I didn't think I'd be able to hold it as it looked so heavy.

There was a huge storm on one of the days, I got stranded on the beach for a couple of hours but was luckily sat under a tree. When the rain stopped we walked to the local bakery to get some lunch. The rain started again but this time it was torrential, probably the heaviest rain I have ever seen. What better place to get trapped in....a bakery! In the time we waited for the rain to stop we had eaten a curry and rice, 2 hot dogs, 2 cheese pastries, a doughnut and we brought another doughnut and some fruit cake to take back with us! After waiting for about half an hour for the rain to stop Luke tried to flag down a Tuk Tuk as there was no way we could have walked back in it. None were stopping but then a nice young man offered to give us a lift back in his car. He was a local doctor and had a very nice car compared to most in Sri Lanka. We were both pretty soaked just from the walk to the car. We spent the rest of the wet afternoon catching up on Game of Thrones and starting the first series of Homeland.

Whilst in Bentota we saw lots of wildlife including a massive Iguana in the guest house garden, huge fruit bats and fire flies. We also tried a couple of traditional Sri Lankan dishes. One really nice one was called Kottu which when we ordered we didn't have a clue what it was going to be. It was roti bread diced up with veg and spices, really tasty.

Bentota has restored our faith in Sri Lanka!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: