Marathon, church, and Allied Museum

Trip Start Sep 22, 2011
Trip End Sep 27, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Berlin Marriott
What I did
Ran a marathon!

Flag of Germany  ,
Sunday, September 25, 2011

Contrary to the night before, I had a fitful night of sleep, logging only a few hours of sleep and waking up feeling and looking awful.  A quick trip to the lounge for a banana and two whole-grain rolls was my breakfast, washed down with as much Gatorade as I could force down.  Then, after resting a while to let breakfast settle, I was out the door for a 2 mile walk to the marathon to drop off my gear and get to the start line.

The starting line was jammed.  I was in the first wave, 'B' corral, which was more than full when I walked up 15-20 minutes early.  I hopped a fence and forced my way into the crowd, earning some angry words in German from one runner in a foul mood about his space being further constricted.  Everyone else was understanding.  As time wore one, more and more runners hopped the fence until it was so full that we were literally packed side-to-side and front-to-back with no space inbetween.  If I had passed out, I wouldn't have hit the ground until the starting gun went off.  Runners that arrived at the last minute had to wait at the top of the fence for after the gun to go off to get into the start area.

Even in the first wave and B corral, the first six miles of the race was really packed.  It was impossible to run a steady pace.  Every time we hit a turn, we would slow way down in the traffic jam.  Even after 26 miles, the thinned out crowd of 34,000+ runners was still a very steady stream of people.  There weren't many times that I couldn't reach out and touch a runner within arms reach. 

At the finish, I talked to a few runners, got a few pictures taken, got some carbs, fluids, and sugars into my system, and then hiked back through the park to the hotel.  After a shower, I was back out the door for two bus rides to the edge of town for 2:30pm Sunday worship services.  The weather was in the low 70's, sunny, with a nice breeze, so the walk to the church was good, especially after tearing up my legs in the marathon.

After services, I walked almost a mile to the Allied museum, which was really good.  The indoor exhibits were good, but I rushed through them to get to the outside exhibits and enjoy the weather.  After spending time in the museum, it was two bus rides (ah, sitting!) back to Potsdamer Platz for a schnitzel dinner at a nearby restaurant.

Despite a terrible start to the day, it turned out really good and was very satisfying.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: