Longest 20 hours of our life

Trip Start Nov 14, 2005
Trip End Feb 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Vietnam  ,
Friday, December 9, 2005

We left Hoi An at 6pm. The man who sold us the bus tickets to Mui Ne explained how the bus was very comfy as it was air conditioned and had reclining seats. He also said that they only sell 30 out of the 45 seats so it is very spacious. We sat in the second back row expecting to have the whole back area to ourselves, however once EVERY seat on the bus was filled we discovered that this wasn't such a good choice as we could not recline at all. We drove through the night on wet roads, over lumpy bridges and passed two overturned trucks! Finally we arrived in Nha Trang at 7am for a quick stop before heading to Mui Ne. When we got back on the bus we were pleased to find that only half the seats were full so we stretched out and went to sleep. After about an hour we stopped again and were told we were boarding a different bus, a shitty cramped mini-van with no air-con. We drove on for another three hours in uncomfortable heat with all the windows on the bus wide open to let any fresh air possible in. Finally we arrived in Mui Ne, an idyllic stretch of beach with a number of hotels and bungalows lining the water. We hadn't booked accommodation so we looked at every place the bus stopped, but they were all full. Finally a man on a motorbike told us he could take us to a cheap place up the road. We agreed and jumped on. The room was $10USD a night which was more than we wanted to pay but we couldn't be bothered looking anymore. After twenty hours in transit we'd had enough. Fortunately the place turned out alright, it was quite relaxing having a beer in a hammock looking out at our own personal stretch of coastline. We went to a nearby guesthouse for dinner and were the only people there. of an hour later our food had not arrived and so we asked how far off it was, it came shortly after but without the steamed rice we'd ordered, when we asked they said no problem, five more minutes. Twenty minutes later they bought out Millie's fried rice with prawns and ham. We tried to explain that wasn't what we'd ordered but gave up and asked for the check and got out of there. Tomorrow we take another bus to Saigon, I can only hope it is more pleasant.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: